Best amp for Thiel 3.6 speakers?

I am looking to replace my existing amp, a 250wpc NAD 218 THX, with something that works better with my large Thiel speakers. The 218 has plenty of power to drive these speakers but I would like to upgrade to a better amp.

If there are any other 3.6 owners out there or just someone with an experienced opinion on a good upgrade I would appreciate any feedback you can provide.

Thanks,

Montana Rane
montanarane

Showing 1 response by gs5556

I have owned a pair of 3.6's for quite a while. The bad rap they get for "brightness" is because they are very resolving - what you hear is the equipment behind them and not the speaker. Unfortunately, they require state of the art amplification to sound their best; and that's their downside - pairing 20+k worth of gear to a $4200 speaker doesn't add up. Your best bet is somewhere in the neighborhood of used Mark Levinson such as the 23.5, 27.5, 33(4,5,6) or Spectral, C-J MF**, Aragon, Forte, Pass Labs, Bel Canto - good quality SS. Pipe these up with MIT cabling (don't go overboard, the cheaper MI330/MH750 pairing is more than enough), keep them 9 feet apart (no toe-in), 10 feet away, and 3 feet from the back wall and you will be quite happy.

My 3.6's playmates are the Levinson 20.6 mono's, CAT pre, Theta Va, CEC TL-1 and MIT Reference cabling. I chose the 3.6 with this setup because of all the speakers I auditioned, the next runner up cost $15K - just not worth it for the (noticeable) difference in sound. (At least in MY room).