BEL 1001 amp...does it deserve the hype?

i read periodically about this amp (usually in The Absolute Sound) and the reviewer practically soils himself/herself about the near if not "absolute" perfection of this amplifier. yet i've never seen one, never known somebody who has owned one of the versions, never known a dealer that has carried the product...what gives? anyone care to comment from personal experience?

gregg
greggtrgi

Showing 1 response by theduke

I acquired a BEL 1001 in a trade about 12 years ago. I used the amp to drive a/d/s and Acoustat speakers. In neither case did this unit sound good. It's sound was exceedingly solid state; dry, flat, and with a hyper clean, rather etched treble. The only application where I thought it excelled was driving a subwoofer; the BEL has a tight bass grip. I got rid of the amp and went back to tubes. This amp would probably be a good choice to drive a speaker with a tubby bottom and a dull treble--something like an old original Advent Loudspeaker or vintage AR's or KLH's.
Another thing that bothered me is the claim that BEL 1001 is a "Class A" amp. I don't believe it! I recall reading, quite awhile ago, that Dr. Brown (BEL is Brown Electronic Labs) stated that marketing considerations dictated that the amp be sold this way. When you look at the unit it hardly has any heat sinking? How can this be?
Mind you, I'm referring to the original version. I believe that the 1001 is in Mark IV or V status now.
This is my opinion. What do other BEL owners think? Any can anyone answer the "Class A" question?