Back to the DAC

Just a bit of an update. When I inquired about a DAC upgrade in a recent post, it was suggested that I look at upgrading my cables first. Since then, I have done so (see my virtual system for that). Not over the top stuff, but a definite improvement over the mostly stock, generic cables I originally had.

System is sounding pretty darn good, but like most of us, you always wonder what a more expensive DAC will offer in the way of sound quality improvements.

Many of the recommended, higher priced DACs seem to include streamers and/or offer pre-amp capabilities. I have a good streamer and pre-amp and really don’t want all those components in one box.

Have any of you experienced a DAC which offers the sound qualities of highly praised units like the Mola Mola Tambaqui, DCS Lina, T&A 200, Weiss DAC501, etc. which their only function is a DAC?

128x128navyachts

@audphile1 The Bricasti is highly recommended. I recall you had one but moved on to PS Audio. Which model Bricasti did you have?

Better presentation of musical overtones, amplitude, pitch, timbre, texture with a wider/deeper soundstage (if this is possible) than I have with my existing DAC. Under $10K, used is OK.

If you’re not opposed to a tube DAC I’d give Lampizator a hard look given what you’re looking for.  For solid state the Denafrips Terminator ll with either the Gaia or Hermes DDC (gets you i2S, clock, etc.) is another strong option. Just a couple to consider and either should be a considerable step up from the Gustard on every level.  Best of luck.

@navyachts I had the M3. Using the PS Audio for time being but might be upgrading soon. The PS Audio DSD MkI is a really nice DAC as well.

Post removed 

@navyachts That Laiv DAC supplanted Srajan Ebans Terminator+, Sonnet Pasithea, Cen.Grand, and COS for a fraction of their costs. The leader behind Laiv hails from Denafrips, who went on his way.

Not only do they have a return policy and warranty program, they're also working on a distributor in the US. Here's the review of it at 6moons, and here's another video/podcast of it. Just advance the timeline of it to get to the Laiv discussion. It starts at 15:19,

All the best,
Nonoise