b&w 803 or vr4jr, best match

looking for input for new speakers for a macintosh ma6900 integrated and an arcan cd192 combo. haven't had a chance to listen to either of these speakers. both are within budget. is there a big difference between the 803d and 803s? most of the mac dealers i know of around here tend to have the b&w. von schweikerts are a little more scarce.
brian_p

Showing 1 response by audphile1

although I never heard the VR4JRs, I own N803. B&Ws like to be connected to good equipment. Mac works GREAT with B&Ws. I use McCormack DNA-125, which is also a nice match. But, in my mind, the new 803Ds are in a different league comparing to either the N803 or the 803S. That diamond tweeter is just silky smooth. The bigger cabinet and additional woofer, they have more low end. I heard both the B&W 803D and 803S with the mac gear(I think the 500w/ch monos) they sounded awesome. You have to go and check out the VR4JRs and the 803 to determine what you like though. Always audition speakers more than once, as the first impression ususally has the biggest effect.
And I do tend to agree with Aball that if the VR4JRs are much smoother sounding than the B&Ws, MAC may not be a good match. MAC gear is great but it needs lively speakers, not that the VSA are not(I never had an opportunity to hear VR4JRs, so can't speak for it).