B+W 801D

Well, I have been through a few speakers since I last posted here. I have never been able to hear the 801D and am looking for opinions from people who have actually heard this speaker.
Any and all input appreciated.
budt

Showing 5 responses by stringreen

I had them...fuzzy mids and lows, poor soundstage. I had to replace the tweeters a few times.
No BS I tell it like it is. To these ears, B&W is not a musical speaker. I am a professional violinist and hear real music every day. As you pointed out, I am consistent in my opinion.
The blown tweeters were not a case of poor amplification. I am using an Ayre V1xe with 200 watts a side conservative. My dealer says that tweeter replacements are not rare.
I am not in charge of your checkbook, or have any concern about your ears or your math. This forum is a place where people of like interests can share ideas. If you want B&W speakers, by all means buy them. Your inquiry was with anyone who was familiar with the speaker to voice their opinion. There is no need to become upset, I wish you happiness in your listening. I have also had Magnepan (excellent midrange speaker) Quads, Wilson (which I also don't like) Infinity, Acoustat, Klipschorns, and Vandersteen 5A's that I am using and loving now. I am leaving out many more as well.
Budt...after that uncalled for name calling, I don't know why I should care at all, however, I am now using Vandersteen 5A's with all Ayre electronics. I have never been so pleased with a system, or have heard anything that gets as much right as the 5A's. I might add, that they (like all speakers) have to be set up properly, and even though Richard himself doesn't think so, I think that the use of better power cords can make the speaker even better, at least in my setup. I urge you to hear them at a Vandersteen dealer. My goal as a musician and an audiophile is to disseminate the joy of music.