B&K Ref 200.2 Amp and Ref 5 S2 v2.09 Preamp

Would like a general consensus of the two pieces above (B&K Ref 200.2 Amp and Ref 5 S2 v2.09 Preamp). Which other names that make solid state equipment are in the same group as B&K Components? Is B&K Components regarded as higher end than Parasound, Rotel, Musical Fidelity, Krell, Bryston, McCormack, Classe, etc.? I am looking for electronics to match my B&W 803S speakers. I don't want to go overboard in price but would like to invest in something that is not going to greatly depreciate in value several years from now. I know McIntosh for one, holds its value very well in the used market.
morgandogge

Showing 1 response by eponies54

I own B&W Matrix 804's and use the B&K Ref 4420 power amp, use Musical Design SP1 pre. The 4420 is a smooth amp with the B&W's and supplies 200 wpc like the 200.2 you are looking at. I also have a Rotel RB1080 200 wpc and have found it to be more metallic or digital in sound. The real test is to listen for some time to see if you have listening fatigue.
I kept the B&K Ref 4420 since it sounded more like a tube amp but still has quick dynamics and solid bass.
Best of luck in your audio nirvana in audio.