Auditioned Magico A3 - VERY DARK...

So today after waiting for months to try and listen to the Magico A3, I went to Scott Walker audio at Anaheim and listened to the Magico A3, connected to some VAC Tube amp, being fed from a Sony audio streamer, here are my impressions:

- They look fantastic, I wish they made them in silver too, but they are just great in brush black aluminum
- They're quite small and could fit everywhere
- Fit and finish is impecable
- The bass they generated was nothing but amazing for such a small cabinet, you could hear the drums, the down beats and incredible depth of bass at an amazing level
- Imaging was INSANE, you could literally place everyone and everything...
- Sound was VERY VERY DARK!!! This was a bit of a surprise, the top end lacked for my taste to a quite a degree
- I felt like the combo of the Tube amp and Magico lacked resolution, while bass and mid was great, the top end absolutely lacked resolution
- The sound was extremely laid back, again dark
- It does NEED POWER, like he had to crank the volume up, to get good sound out of this, so be aware of that

Overall, I "personally" did NOT like the sound, it lacked details and resolution at the top end, while it was great at the bottom end.  Now, the rep and I think this is mostly due to Tube amp, and connecting it to a solid state amp would bring back resolution, but we simply didn't have time to do that today.  I look forward to listen to these at another time with some decent solid-state amp, but as-is, I was NOT as impressed as I expected and wouldn't have purchased one and I strongly believe Tube and Magico A3 do NOT go well together! 

Anyone else with similar impressions?! Curious to know what others may think, or maybe there was something else in play?

Thoughts?
alexb76
I didn't know there was a previous thread on Magico A3s.  Some posters also found the A3 not to their liking and dark sounding.

tutetibiimperes

199 posts

04-23-2018 10:34am

I don’t know if I’d agree about the similarities with the S5.  I heard the S5 in the Synergitic room and thought they were amazing.  The A3 just didn’t wow me.  

It didn’t sound bad by any means, but compared to the Paradigm Personas and Revel F228be it seemed a bit flatter and didn’t resolve detail as readily.  I’d go as far as to say it had a slightly ‘dark’ tonality.  

Some of that could have been the various room setups, and you really can’t go wrong with any of them.  I could see someone having a preference for the A3 if they prefer that darker sound signature.  

mekong56

117 posts

04-25-2018 3:19pm

I was really excited to hear the A3 at AXPONA, and I was pretty underwhelmed as some of the others here have stated. Could be the show conditions, but I was not impressed with what I heard (I heard them on Saturday). I would like to hear them again at a dealer.

firefightingrob30 posts04-21-2018 8:47amI heard the A3 at Axpona and didn't find them to be anything special outside of build quality. Their sound did not set them apart from the many other speakers in the price range, in fact there are many others that I prefer. I am a S5 Mk1 owner.
FWIW- the person sitting behind me was raving about how great they sounded while I was thinking, meh.

Fleschler, Im now selling my Magico Q3s because of your BAD rap I'm getting Von Schweikert ASAP.(NOT REALLY).Its time to give it a rest.We get the message you hate MAGICO and we love them.Thanks good luck!!
melbguyone  Are you reporting me for starting opposite views from those who actually experienced Magico speakers and from other threads?  We are not trolls.  The thread was established by a negative view and you want similar views eradicated?  I am on other threads where trolls tell us passive tweaks can cause fires and radiation dangers and who have no knowledge of the product and will never try the product.  Those posts need to be removed, not opposite opinions based on experience with the products.
I own Magico speakers. However if I'd gone on what I hear at shows I doubt I'd have any. Without exception Magico show demonstrations are terrible. Usually matched with uber expensive and uber soulless solid state they tend to hi-fi special effects with a complete lack of humanity. 

So don't read too much into show conditions. When matched with the right system (and it doesn't have to be expensive, and it doesn't have to be solid state) they can be warm, organic, open and melodic. 

Anyone who wants to hear a "different side of Magico" is welcome to check out my (currentlt Q3 based) system if you're ever around in the Pacific NW
Post removed