Audiophilism is a hobby

This post grew out of another discussion on music vs. sound. According to a poll taken in that discussion, it is clear most A’goners claim they listen to their rigs primarily for the music. Although I don’t doubt the truth of that, I maintain that much of the listening is as a hobby, with music being a very important component. I’m not saying we can’t be profoundly moved by the music but rather that a lot of our enjoyment comes from the sheer sound emitted from our speakers. Great music is of course a vital part of the experience, but with all the manipulations we do with our systems, we  are fascinated by the idea of sound in itself as a hobby.

128x128rvpiano

@rvpiano

Unfortunately, as we know, too often the hobby becomes so engrossing that it closes off the enjoyment of the world music we deeply care for, resulting in a sum negative. On the other hand, music can be gloriously enhanced by good sound.

The trick is to recognize the difference between the music and the hobby.

100% agree with that. While I admit I lost site of the music on more than one occasion on this trip, ultimately the whole journey has led me to place I’m very happy to be, and I really don’t regret how I got here. what I learned, the sweat equity, or the excursions involved.  I suppose we all have a different map, and a different destination.  Happy trails!

Another dimension to this discussion is appreciating some music or artists because of how good their music sounds. Not my gear, but the recording quality.

In 2017 I came across a local news article about a young female recording engineer who was up for a Grammy. So I listened to the album mostly out of curiosity.

I immediately fell in love with the sound of the record and by the end of the album I was in love with the music and artist.

The album was Undercurrent by Sarah Jarosz. After listening to it obsessively, I found it was not her debut album but her fourth. As I went back through her earlier records, there was that same beautiful soundscape and voice. She's now my favorite artist,and just released her 7th album. 

I also discovered that Sarah's recording engineer cut his teeth working with Allison Krause, so it all made musical sense. 

All of this musical joy just from curiosity about sound. It's happened before (Buddy Miller) and will likely again. So in that sense sometimes I listen just for sound and discover music I love. 

I also routinely listen to records that win Engineering Grammys as potential music I might like. 

I was listening yesterday to one of the first all-digital rock albums Peter Gabriel's Security. I had the original CD in a vintage 16-bit player and was amazed by the vividness of the sound quality!  I felt what I was hearing was the master such was the explosiveness of the transients and the strong rhythmic drive of the bass. Shock the Monkey never sounded better!

Get the hires studio master of his album "Us", put it through your hires dac and listen to "digging in the dirt".

If I wasn't fascinated by sound, I would not be on Audiogon.

People fascinated by food can still enjoy textures, combinations, platings, wine pairings, etc. No one ever says, "It's just about nutrition."

Why is this an issue at all? Honestly curious.

@mashif : Buddy Miller! Buddy has been my favorite music producer, band leader (for Emmylou Harris), singer, and guitar-stylist for a number of years now. His productions also bristle with the kinetic energy of live music (many are recorded live, with the entire band and singer captured at the same time), recorded in various rooms in his Nashville 2-story Craftsman house.

Thanks for the heads up on Sarah, who I have somehow missed. I’ll get the Undercurrents album and work my way back.