Audio research

Audio research ls3 or audio Research sp9 .Any difference in sound .Need a phono stage,have a chance to trade with a friend ls3 for the sp9 ,the sp9 is mint really mint new golden lion 6922s one in line stage and one in phono.What do you think.
maxwell
“Much better sonically than present day production!”

@roberjerman, 

Did you had an chance to compare SP9 with LS28 or Ref6? 
Maxwell,
I owned the ARC SP9 MK II  for about 18 months and I would consider it a decent sounding preamplifier but nothing more. I subsequently replaced it with the Quicksilver full function preamplifier which was better in every respect with digital/CD  and analogue records.

This was over 20 years ago. Although the Quicksilver is no longer my main preamplifier it still works flawlessly. The SP9 was also IMO clearly outperformed by the ARC REF 2 and 3 models owned by a couple of friends.
Charles

Why not borrow the SP9 and listen to it in your system for a few days. That is the only way you will know for sure.

Preamps have come a long way in the last 30 years, even in the last 10 years. I owned a SP9 in the late 1980s. Most of my later preamps were much better. The Audio Research LS25 mk2 I had was a huge improvement over the SP9. Not to mention my current Ref 5se which is infinitely better.

If it were me, I would keep the LS3 and buy a separate phono preamp for now. Later I would consider maybe upgrading the LS3 .

Lostbears,Thats just what I was going to do.The guy i might trade with is an old audio buddy.If I decide not to take it he already has a buyer.Would love to try out an ls25 or a ref 5se but way out of price range. For the used price of 500 to 600 hundred bucks I think it might work great.Will probably update caps and a few other things later,I have an awesome tech three miles away.But thank you for your suggestions,its a great hobby to many people are missing out.
Absolutely,  trade the LS3 for the SP9 and don't look back. I have owned both and do not like the LS3 ss preamp.