Audio output for a non-HDMI pre-amp

I have a McIntosh MX 135 A/V pre-amp which has balanced outputs for 7.1 and has component instead of HDMI inputs.  Not wanting to upgrade to the latest McIntosh HDMI capable unit (very expensive), I was thinking of having the HDMI sources (blue ray player, cable TV, Apple TV) directly plug into the TV and using the optical audio out from the TV to supply the audio to the McIntosh which in turn would supply my 7.1 system.  

Alternatively, I noticed that the blue ray player I am interested in, the Pioneer Elite UDP-LX500 has several audio output options including 1) analog audio out via traditional RCA jacks, 2) coaxial digital audio out and 3) toslink digital audio out.  Would I get better sound, from the blue ray player, if I output the audio signal directly from the player to the McIntosh and if so, which audio out option would work best.  

The McIntosh has these specs: DTS ES & Neo:6,
Dolby Digital EX, DTS-ES, Prologic II
ymc226
I had an MX135 and it was a great piece, when I upgraded I went with Anthem D2V as the MX150 was like 10-11K and I couldn’t justify it. But the Mc sounds way better. I think as mentioned if you can get your hands on an Oppo with 7.1 analog out and digital inputs would open more options. With the newer processing within the Oppo for DTS Mastersound and the Dolby counterpart you will benefit via the 5.1 input on the MX135. And with the digital in on the Oppo from the TV and other sources you have a more current decoding of the soundtracks. Look for a Blu-ray player that has 5.1 or 7.1 outputs. I think Cambridge makes one.
The last thing I would ever do is let the TV do any audio processing.  Either us the toslink/coax outputs into your mac or buy that pioneer and use 5.1 or 7.1 outputs to the mac.  Using a digital cable will cut down on the number of interconnects needed and help avoid a mess.  Everything should have digital outputs (except new Apple Play) which can all go into the Mac.  
depends on the tv, some pass 5.1 and some do not.  if it does pass the bitstream, either method is just fine.  
I may be late to the game, but I find the sound from my player to my DAC (via coaxial) surpasses the sound of the player to the HDTV (via HDMI) then to the DAC (via optical cable) by a noticeable margin. The TV seems to lower the sound quality a fair amount. I'm my 2 channel tube system, I use the player direct for better sound, and use the TV output to DAC for TV programs only.