Audio Additives Stylus Force Gauge inconstantcy

I recently purchased an Audio Additives Stylus Force Gauge and it is driving me nuts. I get inconstant readings every time I lower the stylus onto the little black dot on the plate. Without moving the arm, every time I lower, raise, lower, etc., I get a different reading between 1.68 - 1.88. The batteries are new, device reads 0.000g at start up, calibration checks out using supplied weight, room temperature is 72F, no interference from tonearm lifter and everything is level.
Anyone else have this problem?
128x128seasoned
What you purchased looks like a re-branded cheap scale that is sold all over ebay for under $10.  If it is giving you inconsistent readings, toss it and look for something better.  Lots of suggestions here.  I use a "MY Weigh" scale.  It is not a stylus scale and has to be fiddled with to do the job well but it has been excellent over many years.  You do not have to spend a great deal of money to get something that works well.
It doesnt matter how many zeros follow the decimal. Accurate and repeatable scales aren't inexpensive. Sort of like spirit levels. Buy one for a dollar or buy one calibrated for cnc machines for many hundreds. No free ride here
Personally, I have not had problems with the Canrong scales over the years. These are the scales commonly referred to as the cheap, Chinese, rebranded etc. 

The first one I bought had .000 grams resolution and I think I paid about $50 about 10 years ago. It shipped with virtually dead (button) batteries (which is why I suggested replacing original batteries above) but once those were replaced the scale functioned perfectly for about 7-8 years before biting the bullet. 

For what it's worth, my wife was a researcher at that time and I had her take that scale into work and test it against a couple of scales in that lab that cost between $1500 and $2000 at the time. The variation between the Canrong and the expensive lab scales never exceeded .007 grams doing a number of measurements between one and five grams. So good enough for me. 

When that one stopped functioning I was feeling a bit frugal so bought one of the lower resolution scales (.00 grams) off ebay for about $10. Anecdotally, I do feel that the higher resolution version was built to slightly higher standards-notably, the weigh tray on the more expensive version seemed to be straighter, less canted. 

But I have two of the cheapies here and they register within .02 grams of each other; that is certainly acceptable to me. So I don't think it's necessary to spend huge amounts of money on these, or any scale to get accurate repeatable results.

But easy to get a bum product with anything you order. Hopefully the OP got this sorted out. The post about it possibly being the tonearm (and the scale being accurate) was interesting and a possibility that I did not consider. Small differences in height in terms of where the measurement is actually taken can be a factor with unipivots and/or arms with low slung counterweights but the difference the OP experienced does seem extreme. 

I'd be curious for him to weigh back in (no pun intended!) to hear if he's resolved the problem. 

All that being said, the Riverstone at $29 does appear to be a very good value and option. Looks good. 
There are many gauges out there however the Winds ALM01 is by far the best to 1/100th of a gram.However i don’t know if its still available.It is costly at $800.00 however it is by far the best.