Are big subwoofers viable for 2 channel music?

In thinking about subwoofers to get for a large future listening space (30' x 30'). So far there seems to be a lot of great options for smaller subs for music.. such as the rel s812. Now my main focus will be music but I do plan to do some home theater on the system and I do enjoy subs that reach low and have strong but clear sub-bass. Would a large sealed sub still be able to provide clean tight bass that digs low and thus satisfy both duties. Can it ever match the speed and precision of a pair or more of rel 812s? Something like PSA S7201 or Captivator RS2?

A realize a smaller sub has a smaller moving mass and thus for a given level of power would be faster than a bigger sub with a bigger moving mass (driver mass). But a large sub would have to move less to achieve the same SPL and would reach lower.

Anyhow what do you guys think? Thanks.
smodtactical
brotw: " I believe room correction has the benefit of improving the tonality of the rooms bass response at the LP. Of all the speakers and amps that have made their way through my listening room, not one did not benefit from dsp. Music sounded more coherent and live with tighter bass and imaging every time I flipped on the Dirac filter. The mixed phase filters are great, and perhaps they are correcting the speaker crossovers and room all in one. "

Hello brotw,

I think it’s best that I just accept your claim as fact that room correction/DSP/Dirac have had positive effects on your systems. I also realize individuals are unlikely to improve their system’s performance without having the sense to learn from the experiences of others and taking the initiative to actually audition the promising suggestions in their own systems.
     However, I’m a bit confused about exactly what component you’ve been utilizing in your systems that contains DSP/Dirac filtering capability, can you let us know?
     My prior preamp was the Parasound Halo P5 with bass management, so I am very familiar with that unit. Imho, it’s a good preamp with a very neutral sonic signature. I now use a Levinson 326S preamp in my system. I didn’t see a purpose in having 3 bass management systems, one with controls on the back of the P5, one incorporated into my Oppo 205 Bluray/CD/SACD player and the one with controls on the front of my AK Debra 4-sub amp/control unit. I also liked the improved tonal quality and more 3 dimensional sound stage I perceived with the 326S in my system.
     However, I think the P5’s bass managent could prove very useful in your system, especially if used to reduce the bass duties of your Line Magnetic 508ia SET tube class A 48w/ch integrated amp.
     I believe your best solution is utilizing a pair of good quality self-amplified subs in your room. You could connect both subs to your P5, set the P5’s bass management controls so that all bass frequencies below about 60 Hz are sent to the subs and all frequencies at or above about 60 Hz are sent to your 508ia. I think this would likely eliminate your 3-5db suckout near 50 Hz and improve the midrange, treble and stereo imaging performance of your 508ia and main speakers combination.
     You could then optimize the overall system performance and balance by making small adjustments to the low and high pass crossover frequency control settings on the P5 by ear and preferences.
For best results, I recommend precisely locating each sub in your room, and in relation to your LP, sequentially utilizing the ’sub crawl method’. You can google it for details.

Tim
What I'd like to know is whether a 4 smaller sub DBA has diminishing returns over dual larger higher powered subs when room correction is employed
IMO/IME its the other way around. But if you have a DBA, then when you apply the room correction it'll work a lot better!
But if you have a DBA, then when you apply the room correction it'll work a lot better!
Yes, all things being equal, the more subs the merrier.
 I think it’s best that I just accept your claim as fact that room correction/DSP/Dirac have had positive effects on your systems.
Tim - I'm using Dirac live on PC. Sound quality improved a good deal with the SOtM txusb-exp card, RUR, and curious cable feeding a Schiit Gungnir. The W4S dac-2 when paired with Dirac was too sharp/forward and when paired with class D amp - unbearable. Now the sound is more tame. Using 244 panels and tritraps from GIK which helped out mostly above 80 hz.

I've always been a bit skeptical and suppose somehow the dsp is ruining something. When swapping new amps, speakers and preamps, the unique sonic characteristics of new components have always shown through even after calibration. It's not too unlike the DBA decay effect where certain sonic characteristics do not reside with the initial CW signal. Send a CW signal through a system, and each component imparts it's unique harmonics and noise. Speakers especially retain their flavor from inert  to lively cabinets and drivers, both of which will impart higher order harmonics from a CW signal during cal, but it is only the CW signal that is phase and mag corrected at that instance in time. The broadband response to the CW excitation remains and is uncorrected. I'll probably always periodically test feeding the Dirac device and then the dac directly too make sure I'm not leaving something on the table.

The P5 so far sounds as you say, neutral, and likely has a better attenuator than the LM508 integrated. Inevitably it is just a stepping stone. Wanted to spend $3000 on a higher quality preamp but figured the P5 with dual subs for similar price would make more of an impact.
Wanted to revisit this thread. I am getting arguments from the guys on our sonic visions discord about how only bassheads like subs and its like added ketchup to some kind of gourmet food.
My question is this: Is it possible for someone who enjoys high fidelity music (someone who enjoys music with good imaging, soundstage, dynamics, microdetails etc.... who is not simply looking to rock out and bob there head aggressively to the music as the ground shakes) to enjoy a system with well integrated subwoofers more than one without them?
Adding subwoofers is so much more than bass. Adding subwoofers to my system has improved spacing and detail across the audio spectrum. To my ears it makes listening to music more enjoyable and I will never have 2- channel without subwoofers again. The great thing is I don’t know that my subs are on, until I turn them off.