Are big subwoofers viable for 2 channel music?

In thinking about subwoofers to get for a large future listening space (30' x 30'). So far there seems to be a lot of great options for smaller subs for music.. such as the rel s812. Now my main focus will be music but I do plan to do some home theater on the system and I do enjoy subs that reach low and have strong but clear sub-bass. Would a large sealed sub still be able to provide clean tight bass that digs low and thus satisfy both duties. Can it ever match the speed and precision of a pair or more of rel 812s? Something like PSA S7201 or Captivator RS2?

A realize a smaller sub has a smaller moving mass and thus for a given level of power would be faster than a bigger sub with a bigger moving mass (driver mass). But a large sub would have to move less to achieve the same SPL and would reach lower.

Anyhow what do you guys think? Thanks.
smodtactical

Showing 1 response by tomic601

Yes, I have Vandersteen TreoCT ( no subs ) and 7’s with built in push pull subs and 11 band asymmetric EQ ( more cut than boost ) on a great deal of music the sub is clearly not needed. However the ability to high pass and separately amplify your main speakers and the sonic benefit of doing so cannot be overstated. Also you can swarm any sub and derive benefits from EQ below 120 hz. Note I said music above, Home Theatre is a different animal.