Aragon 4004 mk2 vs Adcom 555 mk2

Anyone done any real comparisons with these 2 amplifiers? Opinions on both? Bass,mids,highs,soundstaging? Thanks
kool39

Showing 9 responses by ritteri

Aragon. Owner of a pair of modified Palladium 1K's. Ive been happy since day one. Adcom's best amplifer though the GFA5802 which I feel isnt too shabby of an amp for the price would be a good comparison again a 4004 I think. Both have a similiar used value too dont they?
Actaully yes you are correct. I think the 4004 has dual 900kVA transformers. THe 8008BB has dual 1.1kVA transformers. The Palladiums each have a 2000kVA transformer.
I wouldnt compare a basic adcom amp with an Aragon. But the GFA5802 is regardless of price a great amplifier. Nelson Pass designed the GFP-750 preamp, but the GCD-750 cd player and the GFA5802 I dont think he can take credit for.
Gmood1: I take it your running Paradigm Reference series 100 floorstanders?? If you think those speakers are bright sounding, add some room treatments. Paradigm's can actually be very mellow and smooth sounding if you take care of all the first reflection points in your sound room.
I got a question for all of you on feedback. Some people say they can hear feedback in amps, others say they cant. What does negative feedback soundlike? Background noise? I know my cd player is a 0 feedback design, and I run all balanced xlr connections, plus my amps are true balanced designs too(but Im not sure if they are 0 feedback designs, probably not)but I cant hear any extraneous noise when music is playing or between passages or tracks. What am I listening for(if its even possible to detect it in my system)?
Hmmm, Im gonna have to start a new thread on feedback. 0 feedback designs, and if 0 feedback is necessary onlly in the source if using xlr's or the opposite etc.
Yeah, this is driving me nuts. A friend of mine was nice enough to drop off his Pass Labs X350 amp again to compare to my Aragon Palladium monoblocks. Both put out very similiar power regardless of impedance, both are practically identical in SQ too from all the ABing I did tonight. The Aragon's are true differntial balanced monoblocks, the Pass Labs is a 0 feedback design supposedly which they advertise(Aragon doesnt state its a 0 feedback design)and is also a balanced design by nature if Im correct. And I cant tell the difference between the 2 for the life of me.

Im not an engineer by any means but I kinda thought that ALL products have to have feedback of some kind. But Ive been in arguments in the past where people are telling me their products sound "superior" due to 0 feedback, and that they can "hear" the difference between amps with feedback and amps with no feedback which I kinda felt was a bit flakey. Ive always thought that what matters in the end is how good the product actually sounds regardless of design,pricetag or "brand name".