Anyone try KT150 in Primaluna Dialogue Premium HP

I love my HP. I've had it over a year and have rolled KT120 into it from the EL34. I like both sets. But the EL is more "liquid". The sound is awesome. With the KT120s I like the added power and punch. But it can be a bit fatiguing. It's the midrange glare that I notice most. So I wonder if anyone has rolled KT 150s into it. Does it keep most of the niceness of the EL 34s?  Do the 150s have less of that midrange glare?  

What at are your thoughts if you've tried this?  Maybe Kevin Deal has an opinion?  
128x128soundermn

Showing 7 responses by soundermn

Thanks!  The Primalunas are all able to use KT150s, except the Prologue Classic, I think.  I am certain that the Dialogues can use KT150.  

Sam and KDude, thanks for your comments!  Very helpful!  Interesting that Sam had the same experience I did with the KT120s.  I liked them when I had a PL Dialogue One.  But, I think the HP is just more refined, making the grain more noticeable.  

Keep the thoughts coming!
Thanks for the insightful post!  Since the OP, I have learned a thing or two, and the most important thing is that this HP Integrated is revealing of anything upstream!  

I started thinking that I may want to replace my heavily modified Jolida JD9 phono preamp.  So, I got three to audition - Project Phono RS, Channel Islands PEQ1, and Musical Surroundings Nova II.  All 3 cost about $1k (MS is open box).  GF and I compared all three to the Jolida JD9.  First thing we both agreed is that the Jolida is outclassed by all three of the others.  Nothing against the JD9, but I think it's too much tube in the mix.  The others are cleaner and clearer across the board, and the Primaluna HP was really making that obvious.  After several hours of comparison, we decided to buy the Musical Surroundings Nova II.  It has the quietest background, best dynamics, and smoothest overall sound.  The other two sounded a bit on the bright side, especially with my 803N speakers.

So, after substituting the Musical Surroundings Nova into the system for a while, I went back to the KT120s, and the glare I noticed before is 95% gone.  I think the Jolida has just a touch of tube "rush" that was being amplified by the HP.  With a quality SS phono preamp, it's much better, and I think the SS preamp just works better in the chain.  I was happy with the JD9 for a long time, but now I realize that it was boosting the highs just a bit too much for my system, and was adding a bit of fuzziness to the upper midrange.  Things are much smoother now, from top to bottom, and the glare I noticed wasn't from the KT120s.

Now, I'm still wondering about the KT150s.  Reading SQLSaviors post makes me want to go for it.  Maybe next month.  There is a guy on ebay (wpc1896) who sells KT150 quads for $275.  So, the set of 8 would be $550.  I recently got other tubes from him.  When one died after two weeks, he sent me a replacement immediately without question.  Highly recommended, and I'll probably end up buying a set from him soon.

Lastly, I have a friend who has a machine shop.  I'm going to ask him if he can make a "lift" for the tube cage so the KT150s fit under the cage.  I'm thinking of a short bar for each side with holes on top and spikes on the bottom.  Or, just a spike with a matching hole on top.  If I can get him to make something like that, should I get extras for others?  Would there be enough interest?  SQLSavior, would 1 inch of extra height be enough?
Thank you!  I'm heading to my buddy's place this weekend.  I'll see if he can help me make some sort of 1 inch riser for it.  We will see how it goes!
I did end up with a set of KT150s.  And, I traded the Musical Surroundings and went with the Manley Chinook phono preamp.  

This is a truly magical combination.  The sound is full, rich, even FR, and it all really works well together.  I've never heard my system sound so good... and not sure I've heard any system sound better.  The KT150s are great, with the best of EL34, plus the power they lack.  I moved the EL34s and KT120s in and out to try options.  But, since I got the KT 150s, I've stuck with them and have no desire to roll any more.

For the KT150s to fit with the cage, my buddy made a set of aluminum "stands".  They have a pin on the bottom, a hole on the top, and are about 1/2 to 3/4 inch tall.  I put a rubber o-ring top and bottom to keep it from scratching, and it works perfectly!  
By the way, I think it depends on your speakers.  If they don't have a lot of bass, you may not notice the upgrade to KT150s.  I have full range Revel F208 and I notice for sure.
Yes, I am still very happy with the KT150s.  They increase the bass response, and the power they have helps deliver very tight, fast bass.  Plus all the good midrange that the EL34s gave as well.  Great all around tube!  Highly recommended.

As to the $800, yes it's a big one.  I found mine on eBay from vendor wpc1896.  I paid under $600 shipped.  If it's allowed, here is a link to his post for $271 for a quad with free shipping.  That'll get you a set of 8 for about $550.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Tung-Sol-Factory-Platinum-Matched-QUAD-KT150-4-NEW-KT-150-Tubes-24hr-Burn-I... 

Yep, I completely agree about the Primaluna "smile-itis".  Happens to me too!  One thing I notice is that the longer I listen, the better it all sounds!  I often wonder... is it because the tubes and everything is warming up and getting into its groove?  Or is it because the adult beverages are loosening up my eardrums.  Ha!

Either way, it works!