Any suggestion on DAC below $1,500

Hello,

I am looking for suggestion with DAC around $1,000 but if the price around $1,500 and the sound will be MUCH BETTER than $1,000 then I can go with $1,500.  At first I was going to buy Schiit Gungnir as suggested by someone here but I put it on hold due to my vacation.  

Thank you,
eddy1

Showing 1 response by sbank

Hi Eddy,
Yes, the difference w/one of the discussed dacs will be big. If you have no LPs and lots of digital music, get the dac first. 
As the one who originally suggested the Schiit Gungnir Multibit ($1249 direct from them) I can tell you that I've heard the new Gustard playing DSD (which is one thing the Schiit doesn't do -- not an issue for most since DSD music selection and viability is much to be debated!). It's pretty great for $849, but IMHO any money spent on that brand would lose 50% value immediately. They aren't a well established player and although two or dudes write about them frequently on What's Best Forum, the is a far cry from reputation of Schitt Audio and how there are more ads online for "Wanted" than "For Sale". Since we last talked, I bought the Gungnir and am glad I did. 
I heard it in the same system as the Schiit, but on different day so I can't trust memory alone, but I think the Schiit is still best in it's price class and the Yggy is still the best value in digital overall. To potentially beat it, I'd be looking at a Bricasti at ~ triple the price, and that could be a close competition. Cheers,
Spencer