Any Pink Floyd Historians?

In my days as a young audiophile, I spent a lot of time listening to various DSOTM recordings. I also enjoyed the Wall, but never really delved more deeply into Wish You Were Here, Animals or Pink Floyd's earlier albums. Now, however, I have been studying some of the chords on the piano and would love to learn more:

Could someone please comment on the evolution of their music? Which CDs would you recommend for further study?

My other questions concerns the members and "spirit" of the band -- I have read that Roger Waters was one of the founders and that everything BEFORE DSOTM was the "best" but also heard someone say "I disagree -- I preferred everything they did BEFORE WATERS" ?!?!??!

And is it just me, or are the lyrics anti business, anti capitalism, does "Money" comments on the evils of greed, were "Pigs" and "Dogs" (Animals) metaphors for greedy businessmen? Was The Wall anti establishment regarding the English school system, or could Waters really have written it as a rant against "stadium rock" as I read in one interview?

If so, how would you reconcile all of this with the fact that the band was (is?) wildly successful and presumably very rich?

Any and all comments on Pink Floyd greatly appreciated as I try to learn more and further explore their music.

Thanks and best wishes.
cwlondon

Showing 1 response by scotty_910

The early Floyd were definitely avant garde - a saucer full of secrets and piper at the gates of dawn show them at their experimental best. There is no way anyone could listen to them, compare them with their peer groups at the time, and not see that they were on the fringes of rock experimentation. Truly revolutionary - questionable in the I want to put it on again and again and listen to it a few times category. In terms of great music, I think Meddle is their best work period, followed by Wish you were here, Dark side, and the vastly underrated Animals. Umma Gumma, Atom heart mother, More, Obsured by clouds, all have some intersting tunes, but in general are relatively weak in terms of songwriting and performance - they seem to have lots of fluff. I condider the Wall and the Final cut to be the band's weakest albums, almost water's solo albums with the band as backup (with a few exceptions on the Wall where gilmour gets to rock). Water's is way overrated as a lyricist and his "social commentary" is transparent and pedestrian at best. With the exception of Gimour's contributions, the songs lack melody and interest. Waters is not a great singer either -mainly talking through many of the songs as opposed to actually attempting to sing. If you want to go beyond Floyd, check out Gilmour's two solo albums - they are consistently good. In general I don't think that Floyd ever sold out - just because you are commercially successful does not mean you are a sellout - listen to have a cigar - talk about biting the hand that feeds!

Cheers - Scott