Any comments on the Meridian 588 CD Player?

In general, is it much better than the 508.20 or 508.24, or just slightly better? I have owned the 508.20 for several years and am not convinced these newer units are that much better for the price. Your comments and hearing experience is requested. thanks........
hgeifman

Showing 2 responses by newton

Blackie, I appreciate hearing your comments (and other folks as well). As far as I know there have not published any detailed reviews of the 588. Can you spend a few seconds detailing what you heard as to the differences, say, between the 588 and the Levinson 39 (the only one I've heard of the group you mention)? Thanks.
The 588 player continues Meridian's refinement of cd player technology. I've owned the 508.20, then the 508.24 and now the 588. Through advances in jitter reduction it better reveals low-level details. I can hear words more clearly than before. The soundstage is more transparent. Across the entire spectrum there is more music revealed. The bass is fine; it is detailed, natural-sounding and does not exagerrate 'bass slam'. I haven't noticed the mid-bass hump another writer mentioned. The highs---extremely revealing; but its possible that there is a slight spectral tilt in this region. I wouldn't call it bright-sounding. Obviously what one hears is dependent on the rest of the system's qualities. Overall I enjoy the new player, consider it an advance over the 508.24 (especially at its lower price), and commend Meridian for continuing to advance the 16 bit format.