Anti-skate adjustment off Thorens TD 146 with Schopper wand

I just replaced a Nagaoka MP-110 cartridge (with MP-200 stylus) with Nagaoka JT-80BK on my Thorens TD 146 with Schopper wand (TP 11 tonearm).  No real issues with MP-110, just has some hours on it.

I mounted the JT-80 and all adjustment were made and correct (i think).  However, I can't get the tracking force adjusted.  With ZERO tracking force (anti-skate weight removed: the small weights on nylon line) there is still too much anti-skate force.  Tonarm does not track towards spindle on smooth vinyl (black side of one sided record).  When I used a test record, the tonearm would not advance (skipping back playing the same thing over and over).  

I can't seen to solve this problem.  There we no issues with the table with MP-110.  Using Hi-Fi News Analogue Test LP, the MP-110 did fine.

Sorry, but I may not be using the correct vocabulary.  

Can you help me diagnose issue?  Or do I need to abandon JT-80 (ouch, $500)?

Thanks for listening.

Tim

waxer

Either the table is not level or your anti-skate adjustment has failed.  I'm not sure I understand - does the problem vanish If you switch back to the MP-110?  If it works with the MP-10 and not with the JT-80, then it seems your tonearms set up is not right.  If you go back to the MP-10 and it still doesn't work, then the anti-skate had failed.  It can be fixed, there are folks out there who can fix tonearms and such.   Do check table level, it does make a big difference.

Not that AS failed, necessarily. Rather that something is impeding the horizontal travel of the arm toward the spindle. Usual suspects are tonearm wires fouling the pivot, cuing device set too high so it fouls the arm wand, and then maybe the AS. You can solve this.

lewm was tight.  The cuing device is too high and impeding horizontal travel.  I need to do some research to figure out how to adjust cuing.

Any ideas.

Thanks to you both for your quick reply.  I used to enjoy tinkering with my stereo.  But now at 68, I just want to play records.