Amps from the 1980's -- What gear holds up sonically? Reliably?

Hi Everyone,

For me, the 1980s were a real "golden age" of amplifiers. Dr. Leach’s paper on building a low TIM amplifier had been widely distributed and relied on by budding designers, and lots of boutique brands came. It was also the era of the biggest of the Conrad Johsnon tube amps as well and the invention of the MOSFET.

For me, brands I cared about:

• Threshold
  • Sumo
  • Perreaux (New Zealand, very pretty)
  • Tandberg
  • Hitachi
  • Kyocera
  • Nikko
  • Krell (of course)
  • CJ
  • ARC
  • Yamaha (professional)
  • Carver
  • Mark Levinson
  • Amber 
  • Tandberg
This was also the speaker era of Snell and Apogee and Martin Logan. I am not sure there would be a Krell today if it wasn't for Apogee's 1 ohm speakers.

I’m curious who is still listening to these vintage pieces, and which brands you think have stood up both in terms of reliability and / or sonics ?
erik_squires

Showing 1 response by humand

I've had several models of Sumo amps through here in the past 20 years, of them 3 Nine Class A's including the prototype. None of them needed recapping (per James Bongiorno who I befriended in '98) and all of them sounded great. We did mod the Nines to a newer opamp and IEC socket but I also had an Andromeda, a NOS Gold, and a NOS Power, the Power especially took my breath away. I still have the silver-faced rackmount Nine plus a Rowland Model 5, a ML no.336, and a Bedini 250/250 working perfectly now as when they left the factories. Only my Mac 2105, probably 70's, needed new power supply caps (oversized ones definitely gave me better bottom end). I also use a Nak 420 power amp in my studio from that era. There's also a Yamaha P2200, BGW 750D, QSC USA 400, an Audionics PZ3, and a hunkering Crest 4001 in the garage, all still work fine. The only other amp I had to replace caps in was a Harmon Kardon Q50A from 1964, rather older than these. Quicksilver caps were a huge upgrade but we also bypassed all the junk stages (tone, filters, blend) and the thing sounds awesome. Only a Merrill Veritas monoblock pair ( here for review, $12K) exceeded these but I didn't have the Levinson then which is my daily driver. I can't believe some people feel all amps sound alike (AES!) but then I hear cable differences too, so sue me. ABX is deeply flawed. Go with your ears...after a reference check multiple times. Blah, blah...