Amp: Integrated - Used; - Sub $750 Help :-

Hi All --
Been reading through all the threads and every situation is so specific I figured I'd post up and see what people think :-)

I have:
B&W 601 on stands
just bought - Rotel 1072 CD
running through old Marantz 2220B

I would like to upgrade the amp - it is a bit muddy and I think the speakers/CD can sound better based upon the 685's I have in my main A/V system (integra 7.8)

I have been looking and am getting confused and don't want to turn this into an epic buy and replace search.

I listen to a wide variety of music so I need something versatile. I really like 3d soundspace (as I'm sure everyone here does!)

There is the NAD C352 - but I don't like the cheap feel to it.

There is the Arcam Diva A75 - but I read that it is boring and that scares me.

There is the Rotel - I have a line on a RX-1052 for $500 - which is a receiver but I'm sure sounds good - leaning towards this?

There is the cambridge - 540v2 and the 640 - which seems to be liked ...

So -- I would appreciate input / help. I don't mind waiting a bit to find the right amp - but I am pretty excited to get things in good working order! (I'd like to pry the 685's off the movie system - but my wife wouldn't be too happy - and she's green lighting this! one step at a time!)

thanks a bunch
Ethan
128x128septemous

Showing 1 response by s7horton

Audio Refeinement complete would be my choice. I have used this integrated with the B&W CDM 1NT's with great success. Granted, that is not the speaker you are using, but it is the same brand.

I think your rotel receiver selection is a good one. I have been looking quite hard at this unit lately. I've owned the audio refinement 6 other times, so I don't really want to go back to it. I like the fact that the rotel is two channel only, and offers a tuner. I still listen to a ton of radio. Plus the fact that it is 100 wpc leads me to believe it would not have much trouble driving most stand mount speakers. There are, of course, exceptions to this rule, but I do not believe your speakers fall under them.