All things apple tv

I thought I'd start a new thread focused on the apple tv. I chose the apple tv primarily for it's nice interface and simplicity of use. The mac mini is obviously far more customizable however requires a keyboard and mouse.

My 30gb model is about to get a new 250 gb hard drive from techrestore.com. My biggest issue with apple tv is the inactive usb port. Ideally I would like to send music to the dac using this port. It appears this may be possible by hacking the unit and installing the full version of osx.

Does anyone know of a simpler way to do this?
mbehner

Showing 2 responses by cubbie5150

I just got my 160GB ATV 2 days ago...so far, so good. My current library of ALAC files is relatively small (only ~120GB), so I have synced all my music to the ATV hard drive, and I stream movies that I convert w/ VisualHub... I'm a Mac fanboy, so to speak, and am very happy w/ this setup. I'll be looking for a DAC (probably the DL III as others have suggested) when I switch to separates from my Cambridge Audio 540R receiver.. I think the 540R does post-processing regardless of whether an analog or digital input is used, so getting a DAC now would be pointless..
@Mbehner: I too hope that an external DAC will improve sound quality from the ATV... yesterday, I ordered a Stage 3 modified PS Audio DL 3 from Rick Cullen (after he & I had an email exchange). My fingers are crossed, and I hope to have the modded DL 3 sometime next week. If the ATV sound quality doesn't end up being up to snuff, I'll keep it for video use & buy a Squeezebox, I think. Too bad all of my music is in ALAC, which SB doesn't support (it transcodes it on the fly, I think)...