All things apple tv

I thought I'd start a new thread focused on the apple tv. I chose the apple tv primarily for it's nice interface and simplicity of use. The mac mini is obviously far more customizable however requires a keyboard and mouse.

My 30gb model is about to get a new 250 gb hard drive from techrestore.com. My biggest issue with apple tv is the inactive usb port. Ideally I would like to send music to the dac using this port. It appears this may be possible by hacking the unit and installing the full version of osx.

Does anyone know of a simpler way to do this?
mbehner
After playing around with it I figured out how to stream my itunes music from my imac. This more or less eliminates the need for the bigger hard drive. Although I typically do not have the computer on while entertaining so I will need to sync some music. I cannot figure out how to stream video. I have heard of others doing this. It would be nice to hold movies on an external hard drive and stream them from itunes. Anyone successful in doing this?
Hi,Mbehner.Check the Macrumors.com forum for Apple TV info. There is also big thread at the Headfi.com(dedicated source components)-Apple TV as a music source-.The later is for music only.Good luck.
I just got my 160GB ATV 2 days ago...so far, so good. My current library of ALAC files is relatively small (only ~120GB), so I have synced all my music to the ATV hard drive, and I stream movies that I convert w/ VisualHub... I'm a Mac fanboy, so to speak, and am very happy w/ this setup. I'll be looking for a DAC (probably the DL III as others have suggested) when I switch to separates from my Cambridge Audio 540R receiver.. I think the 540R does post-processing regardless of whether an analog or digital input is used, so getting a DAC now would be pointless..
Mbehner and others
Also check out the PC Audio section of this forum. Quite a few threads and probably hundreds of posts relevant to Apple TV and other Apple audio issues.

The posts in that section have been very helpful to me.

JPO
After a few days of use, I contacted Apple to return my Apple TV.

I have now purchased a MacBook and it is everything that I could want. The sound is much better. Imaging is much more stable. The strings have come alive with much more presence, and the detail in male and female vocals is much more textured and transparent. If you can afford the upgrade, get it.