Ageing Krell KSA150 - repair or replace

Hello there.
Need some advise please. I've been using a Krell KSA150 power amp with a KRC re-amp for almost 15 years now driving Monitor Audio Studio 20SE speakers. With improvements to set-up & cable upgrades over the years, I am now very happy with the sound. But recently, DC appeared at the right channel speaker output which meant re-capping, which in Hong Kong where I live is quite expensive - some US$500 per channel.
I am pondering whether to replace or pay for the re-cap. My power amp has not been trouble free in its life - its had power transisitor & start up board failures in its time. Sound-wise, it good though was shown up as having a typical solid state sound when a friend lent me his Jadis JA30 mono-blocks many years ago. However, in terms of timing & rhythm, which is important for me, the Krell was better.
If I replace, I was thinking along the lines of a FPB300. Or should I be considering something else?
Your comments & advise will be appreciated.
Thanks,
solentgreen03eb86

Showing 1 response by krell_man

I would consider replacing you KSA-150. I had the KRC-3 Pre-Amp and KSA-50S Amp and thought that it was "IT" until last Christmas when I heard the Musical Fidelity A308cr Amp. I couldn't stand to listen to the Krell after that because the drums and cymbals weren't as natural as the MF Amp. I was told that what I was hearing was what the term "dark" meant.

I traded mine in and bought the Musical Fidelity A308cr Amp, and I very happy with it. Recently I heard the Jeff Rowland M201 monoblocks against my MF Amp, and I liked the Jeff Rowland even better. I've heard the new Krell amps aren't as dark either.

I think if you'll take some time and check around, you'll find that the Krell KSA-150 is not bad, just out-of-date. There's a lot of new stuff for the same price that you may find better, unless you like the darker sound or it fits in your system well.