AFFORDABLE (under $1K) Best SS and Tube Amps for HD600

Best SS Under $1K for HD600 (or similar load) __________________________________________________________

WHAMMY Class-A headphone amplifier w/ OPA2107 upgrade OR 2 OPA627 pro build ONLY $500-$600 PASS Design (similar to/ better than a dynalo- warm + clinical - choice of chip switches sound - these are two I like best- choices chips R infinite)
TCA HPA-1 ( Tom Christiansen Audio ) $899 (warm and clinical but not like WHAMMY

Gilmore Lite Mk1 or Mk2 (Like a Dynalo) $300-499 (nice- a bit warm/clear for SS)
Rupert Neve Designs RNHP $499 (clinical gain power)
neurochrome HP-1 Kit $500 (similar to DYNALO and TCA HPA-1)
Monolith by Monoprice THX AAA Balanced Headphone Amplifier featuring THX AAA 887 $399 (cheap and very good black velvet background- just nice warm sounding like WHAMMY or TCA or Gilmore)
Emotiva BasX A-100 Flex with jumpers activated for full headphone power $229 (gobs of raw power no real special sound except its fun to open the HD600 with this much raw power for cheap)

Best Tube Under $1K for HD600 (or similar load)

TOR AUDIO Roger $560 (amazing like Crack without speedball/power cable) DIY Bottlehead Crack w/speedball $400+ 90 for cable + 8 hours time and no where same build as above
Bottlead Crackatwoa 800-$944 KIT ONLY qualifies here under $1K BUT you could get pro built for ($1700+)
Schitt Valhalla $349Schitt
Schitt Mjolnir $849
Woo WA3 Headphone Amplifier $599 (no longer made - find on used market or wait for ver2)Woo WA6 Version 2 $699
Woo Fireflies with DAC 2nd gen $999 Starving Student II Headphone Amplifier $229+ 8hrs buildTOR NICK Headphone Tube Amp $480 (wood w/tubes)

Showing 1 response by ebanksms

Faced a similar dilemma recently and eventually went with the Drop   THX AAA 789.  I bought blind, but based on numerous reviews, it seemed to offer the best performance vs cost. I paired it up with a SMSL SU-8 DAC (everything balanced) and the results were spectacular.  It drives all my headphones including the Sennheiser HD650 (sibling of your HD600s) with ease and aplomb. 

I had a freaky experience a few nights back. I was home alone and playing something with lots of acoustic guitar via my Monolith M1060s and I kept hearing these rustling noises behind me. 

Eventually I determined it was just the guitarist's trailing fingers brushing the strings but the image was so holographic that it was coming from behind me to the left.

I've been racking my mind trying to remember the track but... The music was familiar, but this was the first time I'd listened to it via this rig.  

I haven't explored tubes in my desktop config yet, so I can't offer any feedback there. 

Mark