ADCOM GFA 555-II distortion alert?

After running an hour or two, rt. "distortion alert" indicator lights on my 555-II. For the most part, this does not result in a readily audible difference, although I have gotten fuzz on the right channel. Local service center could find no problem; said it must be a problem elsewhere in my system. I've run it with two CDPs (NAD, Sony), two sets of speakers (DYI, Onix), and both stock/zip and Signal Cable interconnects/speaker wire. Only the ADCOM GTP-400 pre has been constant; could it be the pre, or is it more likely, as I think, the amp? Any thoughts much appreciated. May be time to replace, but it has been a good amp. THX! John
jdoris

Showing 2 responses by jdoris

Thanks to Eldartford and Warnerwh. Have now replicated problem with amp disconected from system, so as you suspected, it is the amp itself. Simply being plugged in and turned on generates enough heat to trip the indicator. Placement is well-ventilated, so I doubt that's it. Will return to local techs, without much confidence. They must not have run it for very long! A trip to ADCOM, last I checked, was $140 + sh, more than the value of the piece warrants.

Thx again, John
Wow, probably my first thread on the 'Gon! Seven years. Wish I had some advice, Lulu, I never figured it out, and moved on to Odyssey, and then to Pass.

The store that "serviced" it is out of business, as it should be.

Good luck,

John