3B SST or 4B SST for N804s?

Any help appreciated...I have a pair of B&W 804 Nautilus speakers and am in the process of selecting an amp. I like the Bryston sound and have auditioned the 4B ST, but have not heard the 804s on the 3B SST. The cost saving between the two ($600) is significant to me...will I miss very much if I go with the 3B SST?

Thanks in advance for any advice!
Jadeeye
jadeeye

Showing 1 response by rgd

AJ - having owned a variety of Bryston gear over the last 15 years or so I can offer the following as it pertains to the Bryston BP-25:

It is an extremely detailed preamp that does nothing to hide the components upstream from it. Brutally revealing is my take on it. I had one mated to a 4B-ST and found it to be too revealing for my taste. My analogy would be that the BP-25 is a black and white HDTV - every little detail is provided but after a while the lack of "color" becomes a tad overwhelming. In the end I chose a tube preamp (Rogue 66 Magnum) - ran like a very good color television in comparison - less detail but the color added the "warmth" I was missing with the BP-25. I still think the BP-25 is a great preamp but your choice of source may weigh heavily on whether it will work in your system...