300B vs. KT88 SET?

Hi guys, I've heard so much ABOUT tubes that I want to try them. My speakers are very efficient, so there should be no problems with 7 watt SET amps. Unfortunateely, I can't find place to audition them so I need your help. There are number of amps available here on the Agon. Some of them based on 300B tubes and some are using KT88. Thouse that use KT88 are less expencive to buy, and so are the tubes.
But how different do they sound?
All you inputs and opinions are appreciated.
zoya

Showing 1 response by verdantaudio

The Forte's will easily be driven by a 10w SET and many enjoy rolling 300Bs though it is not an inexpensive hobby.  You will find their are a surprising number of new 300Bs available that sound quite different.  

I am not sure what the benefit of a KT 66-KT150 amp would be as you don't need the power.  The only benefit would be the opportunity to roll relatively inexpensive tubes rather than the pricier 300Bs.  

Picking the exact SET (PX25, 300B, 845, etc...) to get the right sound profile for your taste is probably an interesting place to start.  300Bs will give you most flexibility for Tube rolling but have a specific sound profile that may or may not appeal to you.