300B or 2A3?

All, I'd really appreciate your advice here. I haven't heard an amp using either of the above tubes, but I'm looking to buy one or the other. In a nutshell, what is the difference is sound between the two? I'm looking at an 8watt 2A3 or 9watt 300B, both SET. They would run a pair of Audio Note ANe/SPe HE Signatures (98db)so I think even 8 watts is probably sufficient, however I have no idea of what the two tubes sound like.
I listen to a lot of Jazz, Female vocal Pop (sorry ...) and some soft Rock. No Orchestral stuff at all. Thanks!
hueyoz

Showing 1 response by jetrexpro

Are you choosing between two Audio Note amplifiers? There will be a bunch of folks that can give you a more complete description of the differences but here's my expirience: Two years ago I heard a 4 watt 2A3 amp (a single 2A3 tube per channel) with SPe HE signatures and in the same room, same day, same speakers the Kit One, a 9 watt 300b SET. The 2A3 amp had less punch but more clarity through out the frequency range. The Kit One had a warmer punchier sound. As Charles says, how much clarity a 300b amp has depends on the design. With your choice of music, you may be able to run those speakers with a 45 amp like the Yamamoto A-08 which is 2 watts. Hopefully you'll get a chance to hear both amps because a description will most likely not tell you which amp you will like better.