24/96 upsampling vs. 24/192 upsampling vs. no upsampling?

I am interested in digital upsampling; however, I have never heard a DAC or CDP that upsamples. Can anyone tell me their thoughts on 24/92 upsampling vs. 24/192 upsampling vs. no upsampling at all (sonically)? Is upsampling that much better? How is it different from the 2x, 4x, and 8x sampling players of the past? Currently I use a Camelot Uther 20 bit DAC in my system, and a 24/192 upsampling upgrade will soon be offered by Camelot in the near future. I am wondering if it is worth it to upgrade. I am also interested in the Perpetual Technology digital gear. Thank you for any insight into these questions.
128x128tok20000

Showing 1 response by phild

I think that most people would agree that the designer's implementaion of the technology is more important than the technology. Many people rave about some 24/96 or 24/192 designs, but some rave about the non-upsampling designs of Audio Note or Sakura.

It's probably best to listen to as many as possible in your price range. Most will sound different from each other...even the units that upsample to 24/96. It really comes down to the design and your personal preference.