2 JL Audio F112s or 2 Velodyne DD... wihthMBL 121?

I'm considering adding a couple of subwoofers to augment my main speakers which are MBL 121 monitors. Highest priority is integration for music - I've a musical taste ranging from classical to hard rock, pop, vocals. My current listening room is quite large, and is part of an open plan house we are renting. Room size is about 30' by 40' with vaulted ceilings.

I will likely move house to a smaller room/apartment in about a year, so I don't want something that would overpower an apartment, but I do want a full-range sound. Music is highest priority, but I also use the system for movies too.

Have folks compared the subs I mention, and in the case of the Velodyne, would the DD-12 make the most sense vs. the larger DD models? I think the JL Audio is the new kid on the block and has a great rep, but the Velodyne DD setup seems potentially more sophistocated and allows for better integration? Anyways, any advice welcome. Thanks.
128x128outlier

Showing 1 response by outlier

Thanks guys. It sounds like either option will work for me. I may go for the 12" subs rather than bigger as I'm guessing they would be less likely to overpower a room (expecially if I do move to a smaller place which is a liklihood). I've also read that the 12" can work better for music.

Marty, thanks for the tip on the SMS-1. That does sound like a great idea. Do you know if I would need one for each sub or can it calibrate both subs? Also, does it stay in the signal chain, or is it more of a measuement tool that's used just in set up and then moved to the side?

Yes, my dream is to get that super integration that may give me more flexibility and better room accomodate vs. going for a bigger pair of MBLs.

Thanks.