1955-2001 Favorite Top Ten Rock Groups

To get a better feel for the types of people on this site, IYHO, what are your favorite rock artists top tenwise. I just like to know.
shubertmaniac

Showing 5 responses by cogito

Led Zeppelin, Deep Purple, CCR, Lynyrd Skynyrd, Rainbow (up to their 5th album), UFO (with Micheal Schenker), The Who, Queen, Rush, and as mandatory skeletons in the closet to finish the list, KISS (wanna get cheesier than that? How'bat Blondie?). If progressive or art rock counts, then add Pink Floyd, ELP, and King Crimson to replace the last three. Too bad that there ain't any band in my generation comparable (as cheesy or musically interesting) to the aforementioned. A lot of great athleticism on the fret, though..
I would venture to guess that it was Fleetwood Mac, Rumors, that might have sold over 10 mil. copies. Or, was it Pink Floyd with Dark Side of The Moon??
Shubermaniac, thanks for the interesting info. I am wondering who got the credits for "Dazed and Confused" for the first Zep album. Since I do not have that with me, anybody who does? Was that exactly same in tune and/or lyric? Or, did Zep diddle a little with it?
Thanks for the info, Bencambell. Doing one's old stuffs is nothing unusual like Blackmore doing Deep Purple songs with Rainbow or Clapton digging Cream, Blind Faith, or Derek and Dominoes stuffs. The same goes with cover tunes. But, taking credit for the songs they did not write (as long as main themes are intact) is an act of robbing, materially or otherwise. I am a bit disappointed at Zep in terms of integrity though it may not diminish their achievement for other songs. It sounds that they were rather blatant going about it. What I do not understand is why the original songwriters did not do anything about it at the time. Perhaps, Britain had different laws. At any rate, thanks once agin for the info.
Ben_Cambell, yup, I agree. Trelja, the coupling of The Tragically Hip and Eric Johnson sounds interesting (although I am not too familiar with the Hip). :) By the way, what does Eric Johnson play in live these days? Thanks in advance....