Why is the industry so lame?

I'm a 40+ audiophile who just can't understand why the industry is so tied to the past. Countless audio manufacturers will eventually go the way of the buggy makers if this continues. Consider:

In 1998 the Diamond Rio was introduced and Diamond was sued by the RIAA.
In 2001, the Ipod was introduced and it held 1000 songs.
In January 2003 Flac was introduced.
In 2003, Sonos was founded.
In November 2003 the Squeezebox was introduced.
In April 2004 Apple introduced its own lossless codec.
In 2005, Apple sold over 20MM Ipods for the first time.
In December 2007, Apple sells its 125 Millionth Ipod.

As we head into 2008, this is where the industry finds itself:

A growing number of mfrs now have proprietary Ipod docks to enhance their revenues to the tune of $100-300.

Krell now has a dock dubbed the KID that includes a preamp for about $1300. Matching power amp TBD.

The vast majority of preamplifiers have no DAC or DAC option.

Bryston and Naim have integrated DAC's into one of their integrated amplifiers (Bryston's is an option).

Only Outlaw has a 2 channel receiver with built-in DAC.

Rather than seeing the emerging new technology as something to be embraced the entire industry seems to regard it as something to ridicule. Sure, not everyone wants a DAC in their amp but how many are buying $2500 CD transports these days or even $1000 phono cartridges.

When will the industry wake up and smell the coffee?
wdrazek
Wdrazek,

Obviously you are much smarter than any of the folks in the industry (except maybe those who work at Naim and Bryston). Why don't you develop and market the product that every audiophile wants, but currently can't get because noboby is manufacturing it?

Goodness! Why do you have your panties in such a wad over this subject? If you don't like the products that are available, don't buy them. If you have a better idea and you "KNOW" you are right and the masses are huddled in their basements just waiting for a savior to come along and give them what they want, by all means, start an audio company and rake in your fortune. I'm absolutely sure you could simply scribble a design on a napkin, send it to one of the huge electronics manufacturing companies in China and have a product on the street in a couple of months. As you obviously know, its a sure bet, so you would obviously make a fortune.

If making a fortune is not your desire, just think of it as a public service.....

Lastly, I own a product that is right up your alley. I have a one box unit that has a class-D amp, pre-amp (actually a resistive volume control and input/output switch) and a nice NOS DAC all built into one tiny box. Oh, and it runs on a SLA battery to boot. It's called the Red Wine Reali-T. Unfortunately, not enough people bought it and the manufacturer stopped producing it. Red Wine Audio does however still build some very fine amps, but they dropped the integrated DAC for some reason......

Enjoy,

TIC
Reubent: I'm not an audio designer or manufacturer. But I can read the writing on the wall. 125MM Ipods and computers hooked up to every one of them. Year after year of declining sales of CD's and double digit growth of music downloads. Can you wrap your head around that? It really isn't that hard. The recording industry feels the ramifications. But the audio industry continues to ignore it.

There are a few innovators like RWA but mostly it's about new sheet metal, a design tweak here and there and a new model number. Not to say innovations like class D amps don't come around occasionally.

Michael Fremer gushes over a new phono stage in Stereophile when Ipods outsell turntables by probably 1000:1. BTW, when did the press ever review your beloved Reali-T? Does that tell you anything?

These boards are for freedom of expression. If I offend you try climbing up another tree.
Eventually high end, in whatever form implementation takes place, will return. Things cycle; I am an optimist. Good sound and good music will always be in demand. The key is finding the correct format/configuration to address changing market demands.
Check out the review by Scott Faller in the 12/07 issue of Enjoy The Music

http://www.enjoythemusic dot com/magazine/equipment/1207/consonance_cyber10.htm

A SET amp with a USB DAC built in

Better yet, Scott found it quite decent

Not everyone's cup of tea perhaps but it certainly suggests that some people are looking at the market with fresh eyes
Hello. Is there anybody out there? 2007 Album sales down 15%. Down in every category. Downloads up 45%.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB119941157827866649.html?mod=mm_media_marketing_hs_left