Where are the female Audiophiles?

Based on my limited experience, I would guess that 98% of Audiophiles are male. But 51% of our population is female. What gives?

In this age where females and males are equally represented in Universities and in the Professions, why is this still true?

I would guess that it is a cultural thing, can't be genetic can it?
Is it different in other parts of the World?
hdomke
Women are not equal ----- they are equivalent.

This may seem like petty semantics but I mean to indicate that , while they are not inferior to men, they are clearly not the same. Stereotypes are always based in fact. They are generalizations which may not fit anyone perfectly but nonetheless survive as useful caricatures of a group.

Audio is a silly obsession to those who remain uninfected. For the most part I think women just dismiss the whole thing as "his hobby" and feign interest because they are interested in us and not our perversion.

It's important that we not behave like religious zealots. There is no reason to proselytize. Just share your fun with those who you deem worthy and try to be sensitive to their level of interest. If they don't care, so what? You can still have fun with your solitary preoccupation and your other half can do something else as well.
I like many of the above comments.

Especially the ones about women not getting much out of sitting quietly and listening to the music.

My wife will sit and not be interrupted---when watching a good movie.

This is also a woman who can tell in almost seconds when I have rolled tubes---even when I put away 'the evidence''

Oh, on shoes,I will never forget the look I got from her years ago when I took her to Hawaii---she asked me how many pairs of shoes I was bringing, my answer....

"Both Pairs"

UJ
how does one explain women serving in the armed forces, including pilots ?

yes they are in a small minority.

my point is that if women are exposed and encouraged to take an interest in some endeavor at a young age, perhaps as adults they will find that endeavor of interest.

yes, there are very few female mechanics, but i think the reason is cultural, i.e., the environment, rather than biology.

there are female engineers and doctors, including surgeons.
maybe in 20 years, there will be more female audiophiles.
Nope - chances are very, very thin that there will be more female audiophiles in 20 years. I heard this argument 25, 20, 15, 10, and 5 years ago. No more women today than in the past. And there was an issue of Time magazine some months (couple of years?) ago that outlined the voluminous studies showing how women and men are different in very meaningful, physical ways. And that includes brain structure and chemistry. Of course, as in all things in the universe, there are infinite degrees of differences.

If my wife and I are going on vacation for 10 days she will take 11 bathing suits. When we first married I would take 2 - I now take 3.
The 2% of self-described female audiophiles are faking it and couldn't set up a turntable properly or acoustically treat a room if their life depended on it. For the ladies in the field, it's mostly about décor, collectability, etc. And I'm fine with that. It's probably a more reliable indication of the difference in the sexes' brains than an MRI scan.