Observations on Audiogon Posts

There has been something that disturbs me about the posts I see on Audiogon. I am specifically talking about the posts that ask members to make suggestion's on equipment.

Here is the problem I have. I rarely (and I mean I can count on one hand the number of times) see people post what kind of sound they are looking for. Instead people ask if such and such a piece will sound good with these other twenty pieces in their systems. What's the problem? Well, how do we know what you are looking for? Is sound-staging the most important thing to you? For some people it is. Do you like a forward aggressive sounding presentation or do you like a more laid back sound? Is musicality the most important thing to you? Do you want a system that produces accurate timbres? Knowing what you're looking for can save you thousands on equipment that doesn't fit you're criteria. It also helps us in making suggestions.

It seems to me that if more of us spent more time on what we are trying to get from our systems then on what brands we should buy we would all be a lot happier.

Just some food for thought.
nrostov
Post removed 
All good answers ( even my own )..I guess the thing we have to keep in mind is that we ( Audiogon folk ) are a family of sort and I for one get a kick at helping someone if I can..I have been buying equipment for 40 years and though I certainly don't anywhere near know it all.I feel that sometimes I can help and it does feel good to help a fellow Audiophile..
The bottom line is that people need to learn to listen and determine their own requirements. I think in this age of instant gratification people want an instant answer and that's not possible. It takes lots of dedicated time and listening to become astute about sound and music.
I think we have yet to standardize our definitions for a start. This thread demonstrates that well. The new audiophile must have been attracted to the sound of music (not the musical) and should have some notion as to what sounds good to them.
Therefore they seem to be struggling quite hard to use such bland descriptives for which there is no standrad.
My favorite saying when Itaught wine tasting was in response to this question.mWhat is the best wine in the world? My answer was always the wine you like the best.
There is always another vintage, another region and so on which may replace your current favorite. It is an evolving process. The oringinal poster had it right the person asking must guide the audience by expressing some fundamental desired qualities. What they seem to be asking more often than not which wines do wine experts admire. What Should I like? People want definitive agreement on what represents the best ever available at any price. You would be hard pressed to find a concensus on a single wine.
If your taste is for Sauterne then a single vineyard cabernet from California will likely not appeal to you. I am afraid these kinds of gross generalities are the only ones that can be expressed
TVAD's words of wisdom should be engraved onto brass plaques -- or even better on instrument-grade boards of solid African Blackwood or Lignum Vitae -- and be featured above the system rack of every audiophile on this site. G.