How Do I Find A Customs Broker?

I ordered something from a seller in Singapore and the shipping company just called asking me what customs broker I wanted to use. Until now, I didn't even know what a customs broker was. The shipping company offered to find one for me but I've got a feeling they are going to levy a whole bunch of additional charges on me.

So does anyone have any idea how I go about finding a good and relatively inexpensive customs broker? I am in New York City. Apparently, the broker will charge me handling fees as well as an entry fee. This is on top of any duties I need to pay for the item.
insomniac99
70 lb CD player here from China in two days (not really sure how...now thats what I call a fast Chinese takeout order.
When you find a broker, compare their fees with the fees charged by the shipping company's in-house customs brokerage service. You may find the shipper less expensive.
Take Trelja's advice, it is the right thing to do
Nice job Trelja, bought a couple tee shirts I guess ?.
I did it myself..I bought a preamplifier from Germany and I was asked the same. It can get expensive..
It was painful to drive to the city..pick up all the papers from the shipping company and went to customs myself..
just have an official invoice from the seller..basis for customs
I thought it will be hard but it wasn't..
good luck