joy killing refridgerator

How many of you actually have to turn the friggen thing off.Just bought brand one new hoping it would be quieter....wrong.Oh well just curious what others experiences are.
digsmithd
Plug an AudioPrism Quietline filter into the same outlet that the fridge is plugged into and forget about it. Do the same with other noisy appliances that use standard voltages/current like the washing machine, dehumidifier, fluorescent lights, etc.

Enjoy,
Bob
We purchased a new frige. 4 years ago. It was very quiet for a long time but I have noticed cantankerous noises and what seemed like a longer run time in the past 6 months. This thread reminded me it has been 2 years since I cleaned the business end of the family frige.

I finally yanked the plug, rolled the frige out from the wall and cleaned the condenser coils with a long bottle brush and vacuum. The coils are under the frige, access was from the front and rear. Lots of crawling and dust but well worth it. I gently cleaned the dirty condenser fan blade too- don't bent those blades! I'm now moving much more air across the condenser coils and the best part? That Maytag now runs half the time it did and no longer draws attention to itself. Give it a try and wear those ear plugs when using that vacuum. 2 channel for all...
Another possibility is to use a refrigerator that burns gas or kerosene. I'm not sure how these work, but my best understanding is that at least one design has no moving parts, thus it should create little noise. A place named Oasis Montana (www.oasismontana.com) sells refrigerators like this. One model is apparently quite popular with the Amish. Another company, Servel, is one that's been around, I think, for years--I remember seeing an ad in an old magazine from the forties with the housewife saying how unhappy she was with her old refrigerator which got noisier with every passing day. And then she found Servel, and her worries were over. (Maybe she was an audiophile, and found the noise from the old GE Monitor top drowned out the Philco console.)
FWIW, Consumer Reports newest evaluation of refridgerators rates models on noise level.
I have an Amana. The "standard procedure" is to reach inside and turn the temp knob to off. THEN I place something on the floor, right in front of the door, as a reminder. ......Peace......