One's trash is someone else's treasure

I would be interested to find out what “treasures” you people have come across in your journey to audio nirvana on the used market. For me, it was in 1993 (I don’t remember if the internet was already at its early stages of development – I don’t think so), and I came across an ad in our local newspaper for a Linn LP-12. The second I read the ad, I immediately called the seller who happens to be this older fellow who obviously didn’t have the slightest clue what he’s about to relinquish. I drove to his apartment and there it was, a Linn LP-12 complete with an LVX tone arm, a K9 cartridge and the smoke dustcover – all in excellent condition. The asking price? $100!!!! While I was in his apartment checking the table out, the seller received about three phone calls regarding the LP-12 too bad for those prospective buyers but first come, first serve. Talk about someone’s trash being someone else’s treasure!!!! About three years later, I sold the table for $900! It was about this time when the digital front end was really taking off with the transport and outboard DAC options. Now, I’m back into vinyl (just recently got back actually) and have a VPI Scout Aries with JMW 9 arm and a Dynavector 10x5 cartridge. This time, my analog set up is a keeper!!!! What treasures have you come across??????
gemini
"I came across an ad in our local newspaper for a Linn LP-12. The second I read the ad, I immediately called the seller who happens to be this older fellow who obviously didn’t have the slightest clue what he’s about to relinquish. I drove to his apartment and there it was, a Linn LP-12 complete with an LVX tone arm, a K9 cartridge and the smoke dustcover – all in excellent condition. The asking price? $100!!!! While I was in his apartment checking the table out, the seller received about three phone calls regarding the LP-12 too bad for those prospective buyers but first come, first serve"
You cant frame this with such pride then have a problem with folks who dont agree with you.
I agree with others here, I am always looking for a deal and cant afford much of anything but I couldnt buy anything from someone I didnt feel knew what he had and would let him know it may fetch more money then is being asked. Who knows he might just sell it anyway but even if I lost out I would sleep good at night.
If I were a really hot chic I'd definitely move in with any guy with an amazing system. Am I bad? Fortunately, unlike Gemini, I'll never be tested in that way.
Sounds like a Monty Python movie

Buyer "so whadaya want for the TT?

Seller "I'll take $100 for it

Buyer "I won't give you a penny less than $300"

Seller " I won't accept a penny more than $75."

Buyer "Well in that case, I won't give you less than
$400."

Seller "Nah, i just can't accept more than $50. That's
the best I can do."

Buyer "This is my final offer. I'll give you $600 and
that's it"

Seller "Are ya sure you can't go a little lower?"

Buyer "Nah. That's it."

Seller "Ok then you can have it for $600"
If the person selling the turntable was selling it via newspaper ad, I presume he did not consider it "trash" but something of value he was selling to raise funds. The seller obviously lacked knowledge of its true value, whereas the buyer did. Given the wide gap in the true value vs selling price (9x), I personally would not have felt comfortable buying it under those circumstances for ethical reasons (but legally it would be legitimate.) I am glad to see the Audiogon respondents to this thread have high ethical standards: that is why I like Audiogon and buy with confidence from many of its members.

I think the question "what are the greatest audio treasures you have found" is a good question but in that question I envision more of a discussion of items that were outright discarded and found by you or broken items bought for a song and fixed to become valuable items.
Regards,
Every day our ethics are tested many times in large and small ways. It's life. I am sure we can all recall times when we have done the right thing and times when we have done the wrong thing. I believe that I would now do what Mrtennis suggested, but who knows about the past.One has to see that there is am ethical issue in the first place to have any chance af responding appropriately. Often we just miss it. My first concern when I read the thread was of the old man as well. Gemini just missed it. He probably won't miss it next time. And the rest of us may have missed that we have a self righteous attitude...including me.