The Best Midrange in the World Right Now

There seem to be a growing number of posts which lament the fact that hi fi has gotten too hi fi, too neurotic, and just doesn't sound good.

As I thought about this, I realized that many of the most enduring, classic audio products (Quads? LS35a's? ARC tube amps & preamps? Apogees?) were noted not for their "transparency", thunderous bass, "resolution" or high frequency "extension".

No, what seems to have stood the test of time was old fashioned, middle of the road MIDrange. Is midrange the best benchmark for our hobby?

In many threads, a mention of midrange seems almost quaint and/or apologetic:

" the classic ________ doesn't have the "resolution" of many of today's products in the $150 to $200,000 category, but it still boasts MIDrange which will put all of them to shame!.."

I find this very curious, as to me, there is no high end without glorious, gorgeous, natural, startlingly lifelike MIDrange.

Please, support midrange.

And tell us: what components or combination of components can still deliver good old fashioned midrange today?
cwlondon
I love your post. I've been saying, for years, hifi ain't what it used to be. We've gone WAY too far in our drive for exactness. I was FAR happier listening to music when I was younger and less nuerotic about gear itself. I've recently sold ALMOST everything and need to take a break. While my answer may speak more to my particular affliction (finding the next "better" piece of hardware), I do believe u are on to something. Less "hifi" equals MORE music/fun. There is a reason "Satisfaction" sounds better in your car than on your home rig. It brings back memories, and it is still a KILLER song whether u can "hear" Keith nod over to Mick or not!
Audio Research Classic 30 or Classic 60... Ultra Warm midrange to die for, but not realistic...
ATC's midrange is still made - some 25 years on. So there still are some enduring products which are principally known for their outstanding mid range quality.
Rushmore speakers by Pass Labs. The best midrange for me in the world right now.
DSC...I may have you matched at least:

http://forum.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/fr.pl?vopin&1158109935&openusid&zzPawlowski6132&4&5#Pawlowski6132

Cwlondn; seems like systems have changed with the popular music and sonic demands. Everything today is bottom heavy and/or home theatre centric.