The Best Midrange in the World Right Now

There seem to be a growing number of posts which lament the fact that hi fi has gotten too hi fi, too neurotic, and just doesn't sound good.

As I thought about this, I realized that many of the most enduring, classic audio products (Quads? LS35a's? ARC tube amps & preamps? Apogees?) were noted not for their "transparency", thunderous bass, "resolution" or high frequency "extension".

No, what seems to have stood the test of time was old fashioned, middle of the road MIDrange. Is midrange the best benchmark for our hobby?

In many threads, a mention of midrange seems almost quaint and/or apologetic:

" the classic ________ doesn't have the "resolution" of many of today's products in the $150 to $200,000 category, but it still boasts MIDrange which will put all of them to shame!.."

I find this very curious, as to me, there is no high end without glorious, gorgeous, natural, startlingly lifelike MIDrange.

Please, support midrange.

And tell us: what components or combination of components can still deliver good old fashioned midrange today?
cwlondon
I fully agree. I started off enjoying easy-going sound and progressively got more hifi. Lately though, I have taken a step "back" and love it. Transparency and dynamics can wind up unnatural if pushed too far - and many fancy, expensive systems I have heard fall in this trap in a big way. Comfortable music is much more enjoyable in the long run.

I think the renaissance of SET and single driver speakers should be perfect proof for you. They can't do any extremes at all and yet they have withstood the test of time. Same goes for, though to a lesser degree, push-pull vacuum tube amplifiers and analog rigs. I think the ongoing attraction of these two concepts is due to the taming down of high frequency extremes which gives the impression of a more prominent midrange. It is "nice" sounding that way and many wouldn't give up their vinyl or tubes for anything else.

In some cases, it isn't so much less highs as it is more lows. When the spectral balance is descending, the feeling is also more comfortable. Afterall, tonal balance is relative to itself. It constitutes the Yin and Yang of audio and this balance is what we wind up using to form an opinion of the sound we are hearing.

It is very interesting to see your post in light of your system components. Are you thinking of taking a step "back" as well? ;)

Arthur
Well, IMHO, you need a 'musical' midrange in any system just to get your interest. Beyond that equal demands on other frequency ranges might well depend on the type of music you enjoy most. If you like voices dir-range is everything. Those little LS3/5A are (potentially) a musical wonder. If you listen to flutes and recorders you must also have great, natural, upper-midrange and highs. If you like solo piano music from a Bosendorfer Imperial Grand you want great, natural, bass as well as mids and highs. Unfortunately most audio equipment is designed and built to satisfy the needs of audiophiles who are more driven by the abilities of a system to produce a sense of infinite resolution/detail/stereo imaging and impact, all of which have little to do with live music in a natural acoustic.

Personally I'm a piano guy - I want a system that replicates the sound and power of that Bosendorfer as I would hear it in concert. I'll never get it 'cause it can't be made yet, but the closer I can make it sound like one, the more likely I'm to buy the product. Great musical mid-range without equally good bass is for me like having a good looking woman with no bottem end! :-)
My KEF C55 set of monitors has MIDrange to die for! Thats why I love them so much...

Dewald Visser
Human voice always do it for me...if the speaker is not "real" in this area I do not buy it....I vote for Aliante PF and SF.(and, of course the Yamamura and 3/5 speakers!)