Recommend LCD / plasma TV ?

I've been looking at 26" LCD TV's. Can anyone recommend a reliable brand with a good quality picture?
The salesman recommended Samsung or Phillips. They also carry Polaroid, Sony, Panasonic, and Magnavox. All seen to have the same 1,300 x 780 resolution, even the 32" have the same resolution.
cdc
Post removed 
elizabeth makes a great point - I bought a pioneer elite partly because it had the best non high def picture - some of the others were really horrible. Also I mostly watch sports and when it gets busy the elite had less of the distortion. If you are spending good money make sure you get what you want even if it costs alittle more
Thanks. Elizbeth, I compared the 1,300 brightness (Polaroid?) with the 4,000 brightness rato Samsung and couldn't really tell a difference with HD-DVD.
The smaller 26 and 32" all seem to be LCD. I've only heard of plasma in the bigger sizes.

Heres the Panasonic;
panasonic
There are many good models out there when compared to just a few years ago. Sony's highest quality LCD was made by samsung which will now offer it under there own name this coming year and probably for less money. As for plasma displays, the new panasonics and pioneers look great and so do some of the LG models. I was told that it pays to get the plasma panels etc. professionally calibrated to see just how good they are. I believe only 2 or 3 companies produce the plasma panels for all the different brands. I believe they just rebadge and tune them with different quality scalers and electronics.
This has become a mind boggling experience in going from store to store and trying to get the best tv for the money. I too am looking for a 42 inch with the best HD. The best warranty and the best price. Take me to the leader