restocking fees

More high end manufacturers are selling direct and offering home auditions, and many are charging restocking fees of up to 20%. I absolutely respect the right of any manufacturer to charge whatever he sees fit. It's expensive to have product in the field, and companies want to discourage tire kickers, but I see no reason to risk paying a restocking fee when the market offers me so many other choices. Do restocking fees discourage you from trying a product, or is the risk worth taking.
84audio
I posted;
The two remaining dealers in my area will check out a piece of demo equipment for a home audition. Screw that waiting for something that is being shipped. I'll take the local dealer first over mail order.
Aren't you then limited only to the brands that your local dealer sells? Numerous manufacturers sell direct: Wright, Welborne, Tyler, Zu, Moscode.... So I hear that you would rather not wait for their products to ship, but I'm confused as to what that has to do with paying re-stocking fees to hear a product that you cannot get locally?
Boa2
No disagreement here. My comments were in response Restock's post. Unless I misunderstood him, he could care less if there were any Dealers. Just buy direct from the manufacture. Bad way to go imo.
As for mail order restocking fees I addressed that in my first post. I see nothing wrong with it.
Where is it illegal? There is no law requiring a retailer
to accept any product back after purchase. If I'm mistaken, please enlighten me.

-Wendell
Businesses are free to set their terms and their prices(within the law), then live with how the market responds. I certainly see the reason for restocking fees, and agree with the practice. If you are not seriously interested in purchasing, you should not order. Dealers cannot fund tire-kickers without losing profit, or raising the prices for the other folks who actually purchase, and I can't agree with the concept that since we pay too much in taxes we should not be obligated to reimburse dealers for their expenses. However, on-line dealers might consider alternate methods of showing their products such as auditions at various audio clubs around the country, and perhaps a traveling demonstration tour similar to what bicycle and snow ski manufacturers do. One thing will never change, we vote with our wallets, then the market sorts itself out.
I don't like to work for free either, and manufacturers shouldn't be expected to work for nothing. But would they have more sales if they didn't charge the fee? If they really believe in their product, and think it's better than the competition, would it make more sense to encourage in home trials with no fees? Sometimes you have to spend money to make money. It's great to claim the morral high ground and say you shouldn't be expected to work for free, but it's even better to make some sales. In any case, I absolutely respect whatever decision manufacturers make about restocking fees, but my decision is not to deal with those manufacturers who charge them. There are too many other good choices.