A Very Narrow Listening Room

Greetings all,

First time caller.

I'm about to start a new listening room project. I'm a lucky boy! But, the room I have to work with will be 11 by 21 by 10 ft., which is not so lucky. Even I know that will present some challanges. I'm open to suggestions on room treatments, placement of speakers, types of speakers / electronics combinations...anything. I do plan on listening "nearfield", hoping that will help. I'm not new to the hobby but I AM new to this type of room.

Are there ideas out there (short of not doing it at all)?
My feeling is any dedicated listening room is better than none at all.

David
vinylmatters
Regular updates please. It can be helpful for others in setting up their equipment under similar circumstances. Also, it gives the advise givers some feed back on what does, or doesn't work, under your circumstances. Good luck.........
I think the vr4 jrs wouldn't be an ideal match. They need a lot of room to show everything they can do. Space from rear, sidewalls, eachother, and from listening position. I have them 8' apart and do not think the sound integrated until 10' away. From other posts it seems a first order speaker is recommende for closer listening. You have good components. Get into the room and see what they can do. I do like the idea of using the electrostats if you like that sound.
I'm very close to my speakers, maybe 6-7ft away. Have no choice though. Zar
The new Listening Room project has begun. I'll post some photos as soon as I learn how to post them on Audiogon.

It turned out to be an 11.5 by 20-foot space just off the current 10 by 10-foot Library, so in total, it will be an L-shaped area with music in the rectangular area and books and computer in the square one.

The electrician will be running two 20-amp dedicated lines tomorrow (Wednesday).

I'm thinking that, with careful speaker choices and placement, along with acoustical treatment of the room, I'll be happy with the results. At the moment, I'm listening to music in our foyer so it WILL be a step up any way it shakes out.

As far as looks go, I've decided on a "Retro" kind of motif, with a charcoal/grey/off-white paint scheme, chrome track lighting and silver/chrome equipment racks. I feel that the better the look of the room, the better the music will sound. After all, we spend a lot of time there, yes? Might as well look pleasing...