What are the best tubes for a VTL TL 2.5 Preamp?

Will changing tubes really make a difference over the stock tubes? Which, by the way are made in China. My VTL uses 2 12AU7's and 2 12AX7"s. Will different tubes and brands make any difference in the sound? Thanks for any input.
mfb33
I agree with Albertporter, and recommend Telefunkens. There's a lot of crap and bootlegs out there. I also recommend Andy at Vintage Tube Services as a source!
I retubed my VTL 2.5 with NOS Mullards but mine uses 12AU7 and 12AT7 types, 2 of each. I bought mine new in 2005. You may have an earlier version that used 12AX7s. The sound quality improved noticably. The tonal characteristics became richer,sweeter and more realistic without any loss in detail or resolution. It cost me about $140 for all 4 tubes and would recommend it. I may try Telefunkens alone and in combo with the Mullards just to experiment. It's fun but you need to let them break in awhile to get the true sound.
Like Noble my VTL 2.5 uses 12AT7’s and 12AU7’s. I have tried the following 12AU7’s Golden Dragon, Ei, CIFTE and Telefunken. Except Golden Dragon, all sound pretty good but it was dependent on what 12AT7’s I was using at the time. My advise is to shop around, mixing and matching is a fun way to spend a afternoon.