Listening at very low volume

Having owned many different speakers after 30 years of audiophoolishness, I own, for the first time, a pair of very efficient speakers. My Zucable Definitions are 101db! I have never been able to listen at such a low volume to music and experience the micro detail that I can with the Defs. Maybe it is because I'm getting older?--the fact that I enjoy listening at such ridiculously low levels? Of course, I can still go to earbleed levels with some good Marley, The Stones and the like, but the satisfaction of a four string bass in a jazz trio, quartet, etc. at low volumes was never in the equation with my previous speakers. The combination, as well, of SET with this efficiency is quite incredible. There are oodles of other wonderful characteristics regarding the Defintions, but after a long listening session last night, I was so taken back that I was not itching to crank my rig up because I was missing things. Anybody relate? peace, warren :)
128x128warrenh
High efficiency speakers with set amps are the best period. I have not ever enjoyed music as much as I now do. I also am perhaps older at 47. I recently converted to single driver high efficiency 95db and a set tube amp. I just dont think it gets any better than this. So I second your opinion.

I also have a push pull EL34 amp for high energy music as I do listen to new music in the rock venue. This also sounds incredible at the louder listening levels. It has perhaps a intangeable "Punch" that the set amp does not convey with this type of music.
Regarding headphones, the binaural listening experience is definitely different than listening to speakers. This is because the left ear hears only the left channel information and the right channel hears only right channel information. There is no inter-ear crosstalk and no wall reflections or room acoustic problems to muck things up.

I can hear lyrics clearer on my headphones, including the obscure backing vocals that get swamped in the mix when using speakers. I use the Stax 4040 System II Signature, which uses full-range electrostatic speakers driven by a dedicated, direct-drive tube amplifier. Using the Monarchy Audio M24 tube DAC to feed the Stax 006t tube amp makes for a very detailed, musically pleasing and totally non-fatiguing type of sound.

On the plus side for speakers, the soundstaging perspective is more natural (because in real life we do hear the inter-ear crosstalk), dynamics and low bass extension are usually better, and you don't have to wear anything on your head. Plus, your friends can listen at the same time.

If I've left anything out, I'm sure others will chime in, but that's my take on it. I still mostly listen to speakers, but have some great headphone sessions as well. You can't beat the headphones for personal listening when you don't want to disturb others -- or if you're trying to unravel some song lyrics that you can't quite decipher on your speakers.