Is live reproduction the goal of audio?

Is the ultimate direction of electronics to reproduce the original performance as though it were live?
lakefrontroad
In my opinion "no" I look at my systems as a musical instrument and I try to optimize its playback capbilities with that in mind.

Chuck
Post removed 
It is the only goal that can effectively market the product. How else would you sell a pair of speakers, or an amp? "Hi, we're XYZ audio, and we eschew accuracy, achieving instead the sound we know you will prefer." Bye-bye XYZ audio!

I think that as we put together a system that pleases us, our personal goal emerges en route.
The simple answer is YES as the goal, but what people end up with does not sound anything like live music.

Look at all the posts that use terms like....transparent, dead quiet, black background, crystal clear, yada yada yada.

Anyone who actually goes out to listen to live music will have to admit that none of these terms apply to that. It is a pretty noisy world out there. I have never heard "earth shattering bass" at a live event.

Secondly, unless you listen to recordings of live concerts (most audiophiles do not), you are not listening to live music. Studio recordings are so over-edited, processed, etc, they don't approximate live music, no matter the type of music.