NPR, Wine Tasteing, & Audiophiles

Was running errands yesterday and caught the last bit of a rather famous story about wine tasting on National Public Radio. They did a single blind test with several highly thought of experts to find out what the 'best' wines were. The clear winner for white whine was a lowly California vintage, and in general the realy high priced famous vintage stuff did not fare better than some current vintage wines that the average person might afford.
Remind you of anything :).
jeff_jones
I've lived in Europe on a couple of different equations, and it always hurts going back to the states. Not that we can't get good wine, but man-oh-man do we pay a premium for it. I mean, even for Californian ones...some you can't even get if you're not on the Vineyard's list! I know prices go up because of importing costs, but the main difference is that you're hard pressed to get a drinkable bottle of wine in the US, domestic or otherwise, for 6 bucks. MAYBE, you could find a chilean or argentinian for around the same price, but I there are so many cheap bottles here that are really quite nice. I have a couple friends with pretty impressive cellars (just had a 1927 vintage port!) and they frequently put down some sub 8-dollar wines that turn out splendidly. However, I've been known on occasion to put down a box of franzia....just insert a straw into the top and it's pretty easy from there.
i dont know anything about wine but i drink alot of cognac & i can tell ya that if you drink a bottle of rot gut you'll wake up with 1 hell of a mess on your hands while on the otherhand you can down a whole bottle of xo supreme & wake up feeling right as rain.

blind testing or not im sticking with the good stuff.
The difference is huge. Wine all starts with grapes, and then gets processed.

Audio components have a lot more to do with materials that go into the product, engineering, and usually the heavier the better (shipping costs).

Too much of a stretch to compare the two.

ROFL R_f_sayles!!!
The blind test mentioned on NPR was held in 1976, in Paris, with a highly respected panel of French judges. California wines won both the red and white tests, against truely excellent French wines. It is considered the "start" of the California wine industry as it is known today.

For what it is worth, it is also considered the begining of tighter quality control in France. They were very embarrased.

Myself, I subscribe to what Ray Charles said about music, and find it is true for wine as well. To paraphrase, there are only two kinds of music; good, and the rest of it.

Dave
Don't forget this from "The Jerk".

Navin: (Steve Martin) "Marie, now just stay calm. Stay calm. Don't look down, don't look down! Look up! Just keep your eyes up and keep them that way, o.k.!

Waiter, there are snails on her plate. Now get them out of here before she sees them! Look away, just look away, keep your eyes that way! You would think that in a fancy restaurant at these prices you could keep the snails off the food!

There are so many snails there you can't even see the food!

Take those away and bring us those melted cheese sandwich appetizers you talked me out of!"

Waiter: "Oui monsieur."

Navin: "Can you believe this? First, they didn't have the bamboo umbrellas for the wine, and now snails on the food! Two boobs! That's what he takes us for!"