Novice needs Mac Mini and DAC advice

Stereo Boys, I really really need some advice. In the past 18 months, I've loaded all in on this hobby and in that short time span have gone from birth to a full blown, fairly high end system and now I'm integrating a Mac Mini server into the mix. My mind is blown with too much information and I'm losing it over which DAC will give me the best bang with a budget anywhere from $800 to $4000. I'm told that the Ayre and Wavelength don't really outperform the lower cost DACs by a huge margin. I need a shot of the truth. And I'm looking for plug and play. I'm not that conversant with all the technical science involved in all of this. I just want a clean, high res sound. Please help!!
moonshot
Excuse the typos. I was writing stream of consciousness and hit "enter" as part of the impulse.....
You have to be willing to do some tweaks and spend some money on the Mac Mini, including SSD, external power supply and Amarra etc..

It is a lot simpler to use a Sonos or Squeezebox or even an iPod and Pure i20 and drive a good reclocker like Synchro-Mesh to a DAC. Then add the DAC of your choice and get great results. Metrum Hex or AMR DP-777 are a good start at your price-point.

The thing to realize here is that the source jitter is actually more important than the DAC. Fix that first and then get the DAC.

Steve N.
Empirical Audio
Steve- Thank you. When I mentioned "tweaks" I was talking about super-ultra expensive cables, crystal "room resonators", acoustics improving flying saucers placed on windows, "mystery block" wood component supports etc. I understand the need for a SSD and a player. External power supply as well? Concerning jitter, isn't that the DAC's responsibility to reclock or do you really need the reclocker buffered in between the source and the DAC? I suppose this has been my point... it seems to never end, and therein my frustration. One thing is for sure; I'm going to study all this like a final exam before committing to anything so, I suppose the best receipe is is to cook up this thing over time with a lot of deliberation and investigation. Damn. Here I go 'round again. -Bob
Just go slow, and start from the foundation, and work your way up.

Focus on a good dac for now. Then move into a player solution that sounds good, and suits your convenience. Mac side, I've had good luck with audirvana plus and fidelia.

Then, go to the tweaks.

You have time to take it in stages, but for myself, that order gave me the biggest to smallest gain in improvements.

That way, you can focus on one thing at a time, and the benefit of enjoying it, as you go.
Backgroundblur: Good. I'm there. I think I'm going to quit whining and start winning. Many good DACs mentioned in this thread alone so I'll explore with enthusiasm and look at this challenge as a fun thing.

I really feel a fundamental shift into the comfort zone after the support and great advice offered through all the generous words by all of you. It literally blows my mind that total strangers would take the time to share from their real world experiences... and care.

Thanks you all so much. I feel like you all have done a lot of my due diligence for me and given me the benefit of your learning curve. The rest is up to me...and this bird will fly.

- Bob.