MP3 vs Hi Res

I know I am kicking a hornets nest here but so be it. I think MP3 isn't always as bad as it is portrayed to be and I have definetly purchased some Hi Res music that was underwhelming to say the least.If the source material is poorly recorded there is only so much that can be done. It is really tough to shine a sneaker. The playback system also has a huge impact If you play a music file through a portable device it is expecting a lot for it to sound really good. It can be enjoyable which is fine but a good stereo can bring out details that you would never hear on a handheld unit.I downloaded an MP3 version of Michael Jackson's Thriller the other day.It was $2.99 on Amazon. Playing it back on my stereo I was surprised how good it sounded especially Billie Jean. For something more recent listen to the Absence by Melody Gardot.Excellent recording & wonderful music.I guess what I am driving at is if you aren't trying MP3 through your stereo based on heresay ,give it a listen,you might be surprised. It could save you a little money also because the Hi Res files aren't cheap.
128x128lwin
Will the real Steve N. please stand up. In the CD vs FLAC thread you write:

"If you are planning on USB from a computer and you actually have a highly resolving system, FLAC will not sound as good as .wav. Even AIFF files dont sound as good as FLAC. The differences are mostly in the imaging soundstage and compression. FLAC loses a lot of the airiness and high frequency echo cues from the venue.

Steve N.
Empirical Audio"

In this thread you write:

"Depends entirely on the kbps rate of the MP3. If it is 256k or above, it will sond virtually identical to a .wav file except on the most resolving systems on the planet.

Steve N.
Empirical Audio"

So a 256K Mp3 sounds as good as a .wav file but a FLAC file does not? What am I missing?
mp3 to my ear garbage most 24bit sacd ive heard blow away other formats have u heard the new pink floyds at 32bit they are amazing
Sound Liaison has made three I.M.O absolutely astonishing albums presented as 96/24 waw downloads.
On their website you can preview the music in Mp3 format,and that all ready sounds pretty good but once you hear it in full 24/96 glory there is no going back.
Carmen Gomes Inc;''Thousand Shades of Blue'' is a fantastic live in the studio album.4 instruments;voice,guitar,upright bass,and drums(cajon replacing the drums on the lovely title track).Everything is there great separation,stereo imaging,depth and balance.
The version of Bruce Springsteen's I'm on Fire is a musical and audiophile masterpiece,check out how the snare drum and the haunting guitar voicing complement but never cover up each other.
On the 2nd album,Poul Berner Band's lovely Elvis Presley tribute: Road to Memphis,
you've got tr.6 ''the Colonel''Michael Moore's sax enters oo.45 with just the sound of air,as if he is right there up close in front of you,so intimate.
Again only 4 instruments; guitar at 8 o'clock,sax at 11,bass at 1 o'clock and 2nd guitar at 4 o'clock.the sound stage is almost 3 dimensional.
On the 3rd album Torn,best described as a blues ballad album,you got everything an audiophile album should have (i.m.o.)placement, depth,separation,naturalness,the feeling of being there with the band visible in front you.And musically I find it a great album as well,a beautiful mix of covers and very well composed originals.http://www.soundliaison.com