How to configure a PC for outstanding Audio?

How do you configure a PC for outstanding Analog Audio Output?

I am about to invest in a new PC (preferrably a standalone, but perhaps a laptop with external monitor or a desktop)and would love to have the capability to use it to connect to my hybrid NAD/McIntosh/ADS audio/HT system.

Thoughts?

Thank You,

Mark
mwilliford
Sythfreek I see you flapping your virtual mouth. Again I ask...HAVE YOU TRIED IT?

A chimp can configure and run Windows 7! It is that easy. lol
It's not rocket science my friend.

Oh yeah where do you find Mac playing commercial Blu rays? You still need to run the dreaded Windows OS to do it.
Gmood you're obviously computer literate but you are simply saying what everyone was saying about Vista though before it was released. Easy interface, works great, snap to use, blah blah, etc. and everyone knows how that turned out.
I didn't say you didn't have to boot into XP/Vista on the Mac to play Blu-Ray because at this point you do but I suspect that will change very soon. I agree that it's ridiculous OS X via an update can't do that though. Apple does consistently forget about their customers that use their computers instead of iPhones & iPods.
Sorry to flap my mouth...I mean state my opinion.
Synthfreek,
Windows 7 isn't Vista or any of MS former iterations. It is
a new OS plain and simple.
I would encourage you to atleast try it before all the
negativity. Follow Al's link and boot it up!
Windows 7 is very hard not to like!

Unlike the former OS builds. This one isn't being rushed to
the market. MS has figured out what they need to do to make
things right after the former blunders.

I've been using Windows 7 for roughly 7 months now. It is
the real deal. I have no interest in using anything else
because of it.
I have Windows 7 on a second hard drive, Linux on the other. I have been a Linux user for some time now, and only used windows when I had to...so not very often.

I agree with Gmood1...Windows 7 is a "fantastic" operating system. I was running the beta and now I have RC installed. (I'm glad I have it for free for one year!)

The media center is very nice. I'm using USB converter to Monarchy DAC, to main system, and desktop system.

Dave
I promise I didn't mean to set-off a bi-polar comuting war...really!

Let's recap some good things you folks have tought me here:

1) HTPC can be a good thing, and if field-proven by the idiot-cast (such as myself) Windows 7 might be an ideal OS for this.

2) Whether using HTPC or a "normal" PC an external DAC is the way to go presently. Anybody besides me see the need for an audiophile quality HTPC (or MAC) that would find a way of housing both and offer the computer advantages of being able to adapt to latest media format, download the Dolby / THX / Et al flavor-of-the-month?...as well as store a good chunk of your media?

OK, now back to specifics and today's world: What HTPC (we had a Dell candidiate earlier)? and what DAC? Any way to hit $1000 with this? Now if we are getting a new PC in the deal (my other sit-down hobby is photograhy) I could see the investment..err-OK..expenditure...moving up to $1500 to $2000.

So where do we go in these two scenarios...dedicated HTPC and new PC with HT capability?

Thanks for the lively discussion.

Mark